Potty Training

I am currently potty training my 20 month old son. He is really doing a great job and we are very proud of him. I was just wondering is it okay to make him sit there on the potty chair until he goes so he knows what he is doing and stuff? That is what we do now and he gets really mad while he is sitting there but when he goes he knows he went and gets excited and he knows that he gets a M&M so like is it okay to make him sit there? Also anyone have any tips on potty training?

kaylie_08

Asked by kaylie_08 at 8:25 PM on Oct. 21, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i am also potty training a 20 month old. i don't make her sit there after she gets frustrated because i don't want her 1st potty experience to be traumatic. she's very strong willed. i go at her pace and she seems to be doing alot better and is now using the potty almost 100% independantly(except for help w/ wiping and hand washing). i've taught 2 and 3 yr olds for years now and have found that its easier to transition them if you let them think they're doing something they want - not what you want them to do.
    mrsfreeman24

Answer by mrsfreeman24 at 9:05 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• My daughter gets a little Gerber cookie while she sits on the potty. I think it is a good idea to watch what time they usually go. That way they are not sitting there for no reason.
    jcsscfam5

Answer by jcsscfam5 at 8:47 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• Great answers! My son received an m&m after going as well. My 2 1/2 year old decided when he was fully ready to be a big boy. He doesn't even wet his diaper through out the night, instead he wakes me up to go in the big potty. I like my sleep but I am excited that he is so dedicated...lol
    Anonymous

• Thanks everyone
    kaylie_08

Answer by kaylie_08 at 2:17 AM on Oct. 22, 2008