potty training???!!!!

I have an almost 3 year old daughter who insist on being difficult when it comes to training! I have done the every 20 minute treatment, offered surprises, brought the potty chair in the living room, showed her how big girls do it, done the potty song, cheered and clap, bought pull ups and have even tried reasoning with her about it, saying its what big girls do! NOTHING is working. I have even put her in panties and shell go pee on the kitchen floor. She hides when she poops too! HELP! What else is there???

gwelburn

Asked by gwelburn at 8:46 AM on Sep. 27, 2010 in General Parenting

• sounds like it has become a battle of wills between the two of you. my son went through this stage. I am betting she knows darn well what is expected of her and where and when and how. but is choosing to assert herself by refusing to do so. children at this age have little THEY feel in control of, this is one thing they can control when where and how. I would say ignore it as best as possible. if she goes on the floor etc make HER clean it up. if she goes in her diaper, make HER participate in cleaning herself up and changing. but dont make a big deal out of it. this will pass
    BlacksheepSati

Answer by BlacksheepSati at 8:51 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• she just may not be ready. NOT all kids are ready at the age of 2. One thing I found that worked was having the child sit on the potty with clothes on at first. and read 2-3 maybe even more books to them eventually the pants come off then it is just underwear. You may be putting too much stress on her and maybe she is also feeling your stress. back off on the presure and the stress. It will happen but it HAS to be a calm relaxing and positive experience for the both of you
    justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 8:54 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Look at the 3 day taining info that is online and devote a weekend to this. It sounds like she is ready because she is hiding. She is almost there. Stay calm and encouraging. You might even post another question about specifically using the three day method. A lot of moms have mentioned it before. Good luck!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:59 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• my daughter did the samething....it took what seemed like forever....Finally I guess you can say, I gave up....I stopped worrying about how long it was taking her and the fact that she was still pee-ing on everything like she was marking her spots....I tried pull ups and she used them like diapers...so i got a lot of cleaners and just kept at it....I stop all of it...No rewards for going Pee on the potty except good job...I stop yelling or anything like that if she pee on the floor....When we went out or she took a nap she had a diaper on....After 3-4 days of that plus taking her to the potty 20-30 minutes after she drank something...she was potty trained (during the day)....she is such a haevy sleeper that she still wears diapers at night (she be 4 soon)....I think if you try to relax and stop worry about a time frame it might just work out....All kids are different and some take longer...
    sharonnacy

Answer by sharonnacy at 9:03 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Why don't you hire a band for her. This little girl has you wrapped around her little finger! She is in charge and don't you forget it Momma - heck she is having more fun putting you through the hoops then you can even imagine!
    My advice having potty trained 5 is to ignore her. No pats on the back, treats, rewards, drama instead a quiet good girl if she uses the potty.
    Once the drama is over with, on your part not hers, she will get on with it and you wont look back!
    lovebdus

Answer by lovebdus at 9:28 AM on Sep. 27, 2010