Kids being allowed to be in bars

My state,Wisconsin,allows kids to drink with their parents in bars. they leave it up to the bar owner whether or not the age of the child is "appropriate" to be allowed to drink. this dumbfounds me! What kind of message does this send to kids? Oh its ok to get drunk hon,as long as you're with me! Shouldn't we be enforcing the drinking age of 21 under all circumstances?
When I was really little,my dad took me into bars. I remember the atmosphere even to me at 4 seemed SO wrong.
So what's your take on this?

Asked by butterflyblue19 at 9:19 AM on Sep. 27, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• I live in MN and I realize that Wisconsin is lax about drinking. It used to be that the drinking age was 18. HOWEVER, I am not in favor of kids accompanying their parents in a bar at all. It just looks bad and feels bad and .....why are thses parents hanging around bars anyway? It has always seemed a little seedy.
    A drink at home ,but not for the kids,was always the way my parents did it and all my friends and their families. And,my kids and their kids. That really is irresponsible to hang out at bars with kids. Tacky too.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 9:32 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• No my state you have to be 21. Kids can get into bars that also serve food, but they can't drink.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 9:23 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• About 80% of the time is spent with my dad was at the American Leigon, Post 167. I agree, probably not the best atmosphere for a child, although i remember enjoying the time is spent there.

I don't have a problem with parents decisding whether or not thier child can drink. I think underage drinking is dangerous but i recognize that not everyone feels the same way i do.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 9:27 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• i spent a good portion of my childhood in bars with my father. he never once let me drink while with him, ever. in NY you have to be 21 to be in a bar after 9pm.
    Sarah5708Emma

Answer by Sarah5708Emma at 9:30 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• This is crazy. I hope my son will never take a drink, but all I can do is hope.
    ambr2006

Answer by ambr2006 at 9:30 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• In Europe the rate of Alcohol abuse is less than in the United States. The difference? Most countries don't have a drinking age. Drinking isn't something that is forbidden until you are 19 or 21, it is something that you have access to all your life so the sneeking and the lying to go an party with your friends is not going on at all. Kids are allowed to drink wine at family functions, it isn't something that only the grown ups get. Going out and getting hammered with your kids wouldn't be happening, it isn't a social norm. Going and hanging out at the local pub with friends and family is normal.
    Mommy2Gabrielle

Answer by Mommy2Gabrielle at 10:03 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• I won't judge another parent for their decision on this. *I* wouldn't - we are social drinkers, we have alcohol int he house, and my kids know that they will not be having a cocktail until they are 21. I know a woman that takes her son into a bar with her, he is in the Marines and she feels strongly that he should be allowed to drink at 18. (She lives in Madison)
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 9:23 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Most of the bars in my area, you have to be 21 just to step through the door. However there are some that allow adults 18 and over inside. I, personally, would never take my kids with me to a bar when they're older. If for whatever reason I did take one of them, I'd never let them drink under age. In my opinion, that's irresponsible and lousy parenting. What kind of example would I be setting as a parent to allow my kids to break the law right in front of me? Some of my friends, though, went to bars with their parents before they were 21 and their parents let them drink, the bartender allowed it because they were with their parents. Their reasoning was "atleast I know they won't be getting into trouble or driving home drunk if they are with me". I still do not believe that is right though.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 9:27 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Parents are all different and all do different things but underage drinking with mom and dad, I have a hard time justifying that one.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 9:36 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• I personally think that is bad parenting.. If the parent wants to go and drink and party, they should have waited to have kids. Poor little things.. what a childhood they will have.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 10:14 AM on Sep. 27, 2010