Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

3 Bumps

Can you change things on a birth certificate ?

If a man signs a birth certificate ( and then dies or gives up rights) ... can you be issued another birth certificate where someone else can sign it ?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 9:24 AM on Sep. 27, 2010 in Parenting Debate

Answers (10)
  • I believe you have a certain date "after" birth to do it, anytime after that I believe you have to pay or go to court to do it.

    Answer by ambr2006 at 9:27 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

  • I doubt you can do that if the father dies, don't know why anyone would do that. Giving up rights would have to go through the courts and then I think you will be able to after that. If their rights are terminated. Not sure, really. Best to contact a lawyer.

    Answer by Christine0813 at 9:28 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

  • You can't has somoene else sign it. Even though he gave up all rights to his child, he still is the child's biological father. Another man signing a piece of paper wouldn't change that anway

    Answer by Liz132 at 9:32 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

  • The only time it can be changed is if there adopted and that would be handled through courts... If the father dies and you want to put someone elses name on the BC that is just messed up

    Answer by Claudiomom at 10:19 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

  • You can only do that if the person your wanting to sign it adopts the child. In adopting the child that gives that person the same rights as you including custody if you divorce. The father on the BC would have to have his rights terminated, if the father died then you would have to prove he died and prove he was the father.

    Answer by matthewscandi at 10:42 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

  • Only within a certain time period. My mil had to change my husbands b-day b/c they put the wrong birthday.

    Answer by Mom2Just1 at 10:51 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

  • Ok i am the one who posted this... I wanted to know ( my cousin wanted to know ) .... Her childens father did pass away last spring ( he was drunk driving) when she was pregnant with her second.... as soon as she got pregnant with her second he kicked her and their older child out of the house so his new girlfriend could move in.... and didnt have anything to do with either of them besides when he would let his new girlfriend call and threaten to kill the unborn baby........

    She is now engaged to her best friend who has been there for her and the kids and is amazing to all of them.... he wants to adopt the little girl ( he was there when she had the baby and already signed the birth certificate for him) .. but of course they want to have his name on her birth certificate too that is why I/ we was wondering?

    Answer by 2lilbumblebees at 9:46 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

  • We got new birth certificates for our 3 children once our adoption was finalized with our names as parents. And my oldest was almost 6 years old at the time.

    Answer by ceallaigh at 10:03 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

  • Since the birth father has passed, all you need to do is take the death certificate to the court house and file a patition for addoption of the little girl. There won't be anyone to contest it coz he's passed. However, you may want to tell your cousin that her daughter has right to his Social Security to help pay for her needs and schooling. You can put the money in a trust fund for her to get when she turns 21. Just a thought...

    Answer by Prayerpartner at 5:24 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

  • You need to seek legal council if someone else will adopt your child to change the name.


    Answer by musicmom08 at 5:47 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.