Kids and scary movies?

My husband and I LOVE scary movies and eventually we want to share them with our kids. Our 8 year old has started showing interest in these kinds of movies, but I'm worried he's going to get nightmares or become afraid of the dark, etc. Any advice on this, or personal stories with kids and scary movies. I plan on starting with some lighter fair, such as The Witches, Little Monsters, etc. (kid scary movies) DH, on the other hand, wants to jump right into serious horror flicks. Oh boy.

SabrinaBean

Asked by SabrinaBean at 10:09 AM on Sep. 27, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I assume you're watching them on DVD. The cool thing about watching any movie on DVD is watching the Special Features. A lot of the time, there's a Featurette showing you how they did the make-up and effects. After the movie is over, play the Special Features to help your child understand that it's not real.

We do this with my bonus son [11 years] (when we actually have him). We don't worry about it with my daughter [3 almost 4 years] because she's always been exposed to the scary movies. Her bad dreams are about "...a chocolate man taking my animals and I need to help them but I can't get to them..." and not about the scary movies she watches with us. She enjoys the Saw series, Resident Evil series, Zombieland, and every other scary movie we have in our collection.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 10:14 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• The worst nightmare I ever had as a kid was after watching Little Monsters and I was probably 8 or 9 at the time. Considering that I still remember it I'd say it was pretty traumatizing.
    an-apple-a-day

Answer by an-apple-a-day at 10:12 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• My 9 year is to scared to watch. But I have a 5 year old who would just sit there all night with you if you let her. We try and make them stay in their rooms when it is a scary movie night. Funny story to add tho. When my 5 year was i'd say somewhere's between 2-3 she was learning to use the remote. i had freddy saved on the dvr. i hadn't seen her in a while in the house so i went lookin for her. found her in my room more than half way thru with the movie freddy. her eyes were as big as saucers. i almost died at the time. freddy still creeps me out..lol..i know its sad. but i've learned some kids can adjust to watching them and some cant
    jbond83

Answer by jbond83 at 10:14 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• I also wanted to watch horrors when my siblings did. It's natural to be curious. I wish, however that I never did. I did have a lot of nightmares and am to this day , though Id never admit it aloud, afraid of the dark (and a few other things I saw first on movies). In my opinion, they're just not emotionally ready for blood, guts and demons. I know I will not let my LO watch anything remotely scary
    CassyzMom

Answer by CassyzMom at 10:15 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• i would stick with kid scary movies to start. My daughter is 8 and says some movies and shows give her nightmares. But again thats her, all kids are different
    spagal99

Answer by spagal99 at 10:19 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• I like your idea of kid scary movies first and see how he does. :)
    MomIWant

Answer by MomIWant at 10:21 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• I had a TV in my room when I was growing up and I would watch scary movies with my twin sister all the time. Once, my parents cought us watching Child's Play and it was the only time in our lives we got spanked!! I can still remember the nightmares I had. I was 7 when I watched it.

I try not to let my daughter watch anything scary on TV but she just doesn't get scared!!! Her 13-yr-old cousin was watching Paranormal Activity the other day and my 5-yr-old was watching too, and nothing. She doesn't get scared because she knows it's fiction. She actually doesn't get scared easily in real life either.. That's weird..! :P
    mygirlpaige

Answer by mygirlpaige at 10:22 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• It depends on the child and how they handle it. My friends son watched the Lord of the Ring trilology when he was 3, didnt' phase him. My daughter couldn't even watch Harry Potter till she was like 8 lol
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:22 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Really?! I remember being scared by it too, but I also remember really liking it. It did make me afraid to go to the bathroom at night, which is what I'm worried about for him.
    SabrinaBean

Comment by SabrinaBean (original poster) at 10:15 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• These are great stories! Yeah, it's funny how every kid reacts differently to scary movies. Even now, I'm still kind of a scaredy-cat and my husband is hardly ever phased.
    SabrinaBean

Comment by SabrinaBean (original poster) at 10:25 AM on Sep. 27, 2010