Holy texts from religions other than your own

Do you think it is ok to read the holy texts of religions that are not your own?
Ever since I was a teen I have enjoyed learning about other religions, but my mom wouldn't let me read the holy texts from different faiths. I always read books about other religions, but I didn't start reading the holy texts until a few years ago.
What other religion's holy books have you read? I am a Christian and besides the bible I have read the Tao Te Ching, the Quran, the Dhammapada and a bit of the Bhagavd Gita...

Charmom2

Asked by Charmom2 at 10:14 AM on Sep. 27, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I think it's wonderful that you do. Learning is wonderful. There are sooo many different religons out there, I think it's good to learn about them
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:18 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Absolutely! it is wonderful to gather as much information as possible and even if you don't believe in the spirituality of other religions you can still appreciate the morals and lessons they have to offer. It keeps you open minded and helps to understand different people.
    DoveMomma

Answer by DoveMomma at 10:21 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• I don't have anything against it. In fact, I own a Gita, four Qurans, a copy of the Analects and the Tao, a Book of Mormon, and have a program on my computer that has all sorts of religious texts (like the hadith and the Sikh text, etc). I think its a good thing to educate yourself on all that you can, because even if you decide you don't agree with it, at least you're informed.

I'm a Christian (Universalist), but I believe in plurality (that all paths are valid) and I practice syncretism (I pull from the various paths in my personal faith). So reading the other texts is a big part of my spirituality. :)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 10:48 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Sure. Educate yourself. It is a good way to reach out to people rather than having any reservations or prejudices.
    2tinyhineys

Answer by 2tinyhineys at 11:33 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• In competition or in war the first rule is "Know your enemy." Know what they believe. Know what they are willing to fight and die for. Know what they are capable of doing. Otherwise you are like the soldier rushing into battle with a blindfold on. Dead. Christians don't bother to study the belief systems of those they consider the "enemy". They judge by catchphrases that their church leaders give them. None of these leaders have studied the beliefs they speak against. They are afraid to. They might be tempted by those beliefs to desert their god and his little book of myths. They might be tainted by contact with them. They refuse to be educated for fear that they will find that a witch is just as human and good as they are. That the atheist is just as moral--or more so than they. Learn what's out there. There ARE other choices. It cannot harm you to just learn. Really!! It can't.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 1:31 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• I think it's perfectly fine to read other religious texts. I havent yet, other than reading some of the Book of Mormon.
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 2:28 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Yes
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:32 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Of course, I would encourage everyone to pick up a book or two from another path... Education is always more of a benefit than a hindrance...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:35 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Christians don't bother to study the belief systems of those they consider the "enemy". They judge by catchphrases that their church leaders give them. None of these leaders have studied the beliefs they speak against. They are afraid to. They might be tempted by those beliefs to desert their god and his little book of myths. They might be tainted by contact with them. They refuse to be educated for fear that they will find that a witch is just as human and good as they are.

Witchqueen, you need educating. Take your own advice.
    2tinyhineys

Answer by 2tinyhineys at 2:37 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• In competition or in war the first rule is "Know your enemy." Know what they believe. Know what they are willing to fight and die for. Know what they are capable of doing... It cannot harm you to just learn.--

this much i agree with. :)
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 3:09 PM on Sep. 27, 2010