• In the Spotlight:

Indoor rabbit

Can my indoor rabbits cage go outside in my shed for a few weeks till it freezes for winter. And stay out all winter if I get him a better cage and straw and a nesting box?

blue_glass_mama

Asked by blue_glass_mama at 10:16 AM on Sep. 27, 2010 in Pets

• You need to get him out quick. That way he is used to the change in weather. Fall is a great time to do that since it's a gradual change in temp. Put him out now, and try to make the cage as wind-proof as you can even if you can shelter is some way.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:18 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Not really...the rabbit needs a nesting box and proper cage to be outdoors. Even tough it isn't freezing they can't go form an indoor environment to outside nights with no acclimatizing and no warm shelter.  Plants can't even do that!

bookworm23

Answer by bookworm23 at 1:00 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• I was going to put straw and a nesting box in the cage and the cage is in the shed out of the wind and rain, but he might get lonley
    ---I am starting to rethink it, he might get sad
    blue_glass_mama

Comment by blue_glass_mama (original poster) at 1:15 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Why would you want to put the bunny outside? I'm not getting upset or anything..just asking. The rabbits do much better in the cold than they do in the heat. You don't need a nesting box unless your bunny is going to have a litter of kits. If you do want to put the bunny out, then yes.start it now as it can get used to the temp changes that are happening. If you have any questions, you cam message me here. I'm a breeder & can help in any way I can. You can also google info...
    Bunnee

Answer by Bunnee at 2:51 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• I have an indoor rabbit and go to this site for expert advice. Fuzzy-rabbit.com.
    mandynjohnsmom

Answer by mandynjohnsmom at 10:37 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Yep. Get him another rabbit for company ...
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 7:53 PM on Sep. 28, 2010