How do I end the cycle of thrush when my son puts his hands in his mouth constantly?

Grayden has thrush. He is 3 months old and found his hands not too long ago so he is always putting them in his mouth. He has thrush (it started 5 days ago) and he is on Nystatin. It isnt clearing up. Im guessing its because he always has his hands in his mouth. what can I use to kill the germs on his hands that will at the same time be safe for him to have in his mouth?

webber217

Asked by webber217 at 10:17 AM on Jul. 2, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I have been dealing with Trush with my 3 month old daughter, and there isn't anything you can do about there hands. You can keep wipping them with baby wipes, but that doesn't kill germs. My advice would be to work on it with other area's. Example, Always boil the nipples on his bottles if you are bottle feeding. I also switch out binky's through out the day and boil them after they are used. Something I have recently started doing, is to give her a little bit of water after each bottle to keep they extra milk off of her toung. Good Luck! Keep me posted
    MaeleesMom31708

Answer by MaeleesMom31708 at 10:25 AM on Jul. 2, 2008

• Have you tried giving him a really good quality yogurt from a health food store? It restores normal mouth and gut flora and helps with the pain of thrush and helps heal it. Get an organic yogurt like stonyfield farms and kind of brush it into his mouth.
    Gretae

Answer by Gretae at 11:11 AM on Jul. 2, 2008

• there are these little gloves they make for babies that keep them from scratching themselves - you should get some and make sure you keep a clean pair on him so he can keep chewing but not spread it.
    vakatia

Answer by vakatia at 12:03 PM on Jul. 2, 2008