what are the signs off a baby self weaning?

my son seems really young to do this but he doesnt nurse anymore unless it's night time. He will pull, tugs, plays and acts like the nipple isnt there even when he is really hungry. Is this what's going on or is it something else. He's been doing this now for about a week.

Nienna7477

Asked by Nienna7477 at 10:22 AM on Sep. 27, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My DD started doing this around 3 or 4 months. I didn't find it to be a sign of self weaning, just exploration. I think babies finally realize they are in control of their movements and they want to play whether hungry or not.
    kaylan010

Answer by kaylan010 at 10:25 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• but he starts screaming wanting to eat even though the nipple is right there in his mouth. Is that normal? He throws his head around trying ti find it but wont latch.
    Nienna7477

Comment by Nienna7477 (original poster) at 10:29 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• I would check his mouth for thrush. But most likely he is just being a stubborn baby. My DD did this almost like she forgot how to breastfeed, but sure enough it was just a phase.
    kaylan010

Answer by kaylan010 at 10:41 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• no thrush, I already checked
    Nienna7477

Comment by Nienna7477 (original poster) at 10:45 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Has he been getting a lot of bottles? Sometimes they get angry because there isn't instant gratification. If he is on bottles give him a slower flow nipple so that he has to work harder. I would also cut out bottles for a little bit if you can.... some babys will go on nursing strikes, but it doesn't mean they are weaning. Offer the breast more and the bottle less until he is back to normal.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 10:50 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• How old is he? Does he get bottles or pacifiers? Definitely NOT self-weaning... self weaning happens at the earliest, 18 months... and that's only if there's encouragement of some form. Most often it will happen between 2 and 4 years of age.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 10:54 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• How old? Is he eating anything else? If he's getting solids, you might want to back off them for awhile. I really need more information though, to advise you.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 12:57 PM on Sep. 27, 2010