Football Americano?

Sunday Night Football and the NFL gave a push to promote and cater to the Spanish speaking community Sunday night . Posted scorecards in Spanish at commercial breaks boasting FUTBOL AMERICANO ; VAQUEROS de DALLAS and OSOS de CHICAGO scores surely causing many fans to double check the channel they were tuned to . There was even a 60 second X-Box commercial for Maddens' Futbol 07' entirely in Spanish .

They play these games in Spanish on ESPN already. What do you think about them playing it on local stations?

itsmesteph11

Asked by itsmesteph11 at 10:32 AM on Sep. 27, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• It would not bother me at all..
    MTM

Answer by MTM at 10:39 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• I agree with you. They do have them in Spanish already. No need to add to what stations are English.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 10:39 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Spanish speakers are a growing market that companies are trying to capture. You probably live in a place with a large Spanish-speaking population. It's the companies money, so they are free to cater to whomever they'd like in whatever language is most advantageous for them.
    SabrinaBean

Answer by SabrinaBean at 10:39 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Unfortunately, unless American English has been pronounced the language of the U.S. (I looked into it a few years ago and we really don't have an "official" language), we can't really do anything about.

Personally, I'd like to keep it all in American English. There are other language stations out there that they can listen to and watch. Why take over other stations speaking a different language?

I wouldn't expect other countries to do this. If I go to another country, for example, I wouldn't want them to feel they have to cater to my language barrier. If I want to watch a program on their television or listen to their radio and understand what they're saying, I would do my very best to learn the language (like taking classes or using that Rosetta Stone program) before ever traveling to that country.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 10:40 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• I would go pretty far not to spend my money at places that are forcing me to listen to a language I don't understand. There ARE stations for Spanish speakers, and Spanish is NOT the only other language that lives here.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 10:45 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• The reason why they do this is to pull more viewers for that specific channel instead of turning to the game in just spansh and changing the channel. They raise more money that way, it's all about marketing, advertising, and business over all.
    sheli2007

Answer by sheli2007 at 10:46 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Sabrina, it was a national commercial just as the game was nationally shown.
    I don't watch football but I don't want to watch any show or any commercial in Spanish. I don't speak Spanish so why should I have to watch something I wouldn't understand? We are kind enough in America to have Spanish stations (you don't find many American stations across the world) Most people who want to see shows in their own language watch the channel that shows it in their language. This is crap having it pushed on Americans.
    itsmesteph11

Comment by itsmesteph11 (original poster) at 10:49 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• You said "local stations" which is what I was talking about... I didn't give an opinion either way. I was just explaining what was going on. (Bassically what @sheli2007 said, perhaps she said it better.) Also commercials are still catered "nationally," meaning that a national commercial may play in New York, Florida, Texas and California, but not necessarily in every state. My response was just pointing out that this is a complaint against the company not the political argument I feel your making it out to be.
    SabrinaBean

Answer by SabrinaBean at 11:09 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• You don't have to watch it. You chose to, and like others have stated "english is not the official language" it's an assumption, remember what happens when you assume. Also there are other languages that have thier own stations across the U.S. and yes while you don't find many, you will find some American stations. Just because you don't understand it doesn't mean the entire U.S. doesn't. I'm sorry you feel that you have to watch something you don't want to, but we have all been there. I see commercials in english that I care not to see in any language, doesn't mean they're going to stop showing them. Also America is a term that United Staes citizens tend to use to talk about the united states but remember that America is supposed to reference the continent North America, which includes Canada and Mexico not just the U.S. people tend to forget that.
    sheli2007

Answer by sheli2007 at 11:12 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Is it going to be like this on DirectTV Sunday Ticket thing? If so, my husband isn't going to like it.

I agree with the previous posters. English is our primary language. I wouldn't got to France and expect to have everything in English. It seems unnecessary if it is already available. Personally, I just don't the the "bilingual" things, it can be kind of annoying if you don't speak the language.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 11:16 AM on Sep. 27, 2010