giving honey for a cough?

I talked to the nurse advice line the other day to see if there was anything i could give my 3yr old dd for a nasty cough she has. She told me to give her 1/2 a tsp of honey, didnt tell me to mix it with anything. Has anyone ever heard of this or even tried this before and did it work?

mdhart03

Asked by mdhart03 at 10:34 AM on Sep. 27, 2010 in Kids' Health

• i have tryed the honey for the cough it does work for a while i mixed it with something else i just dont remember wat is was mayb lemon juice?? ...... just dont give it to her alot being its so sweet she can get sick of it good luck and hope she feels better
    cocobutt2002

Answer by cocobutt2002 at 10:36 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• As an adult I have mixed honey with whiskey and taken it for a cough - it helped, but not sure if it was the honey or the whiskey! (my mom told me about it, it's an old fashioned remedy)

Answer by missanc at 10:44 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• it is VERY soothing.
    BlacksheepSati

Answer by BlacksheepSati at 10:57 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Buckwheat honey is really good for a cough. About one tablespoon. You don't need to mix it with anything, it's most effective by itself, but you could mix it with some hot/warm water and lemon and it's still soothing.
    MagnoliaQueen

Answer by MagnoliaQueen at 11:18 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• It helps by coating the throat. When I was a kid, my parents gave us a honey/whiskey/lemon juice mix for a cough......It was the nastiest tasting stuff but it worked!!
    Mommah3

Answer by Mommah3 at 11:20 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• You don't need to mix it with anything. Just give her a spoonful of honey. It will coat her throat and soothe the cough for a little bit. Plus honey has antimicrobial properties. And it tastes great :)
    MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 11:27 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Just give it straight off the spoon, you don't need to mix it with anything.
    My parents used to give my sis and I hot tea with honey and lemon/lemon juice when we were sick, it seemed to help.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 11:46 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• I've tried it for my kids, and it seemed to make it worse. DH has mixed honey & whiskey and that has helped - out of desperation we gave it to our oldest one night and it was like a light switch, she immediately stopped coughing. She actually asks for daddy's cough medicine if she's having trouble, because she knows other stuff doesn't work for her. Told our doc about it and she said "don't ask don't tell but if it works, it works".
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:59 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• we use it but normally we mix it with lemon juice like a 50/50 mix. the honey will only make the cough worse.
    sodapple

Answer by sodapple at 3:01 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• I agree with the honey and lemon juice.  Suppress Nighttime Cough

musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 3:20 PM on Sep. 27, 2010