Without googling it .... Do you know what an upside down ....

... flag means? If you do know, do you think it is appropriate to use it now?

Gal51

Asked by Gal51 at 10:37 AM on Sep. 27, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• My friends fly the flag upside down. It means distress. And yes, I absolutely support them. They are indicating that our Nation is in trouble. There is more to the meaning, but I am going by my friends right now.
    MaryWolfe

Answer by MaryWolfe at 10:40 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• It's a sign of distress. I forget which battle, but it was used to tell people that a fort needed help. (you said no googling, so no memory refreshers for me).

No, it's not appropriate now. I understand the sentiment, but it implies an emergency at the place where it is flying.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 10:41 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Yes. It is a way to signal distress. NOT voice your opinion on your dislike of the current administration.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 10:39 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Its a distress signal. Using the flag for a political agenda seems tacky to me.
    ivy102381

Answer by ivy102381 at 10:44 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• I'm guessing you have never heard of the Flag code.  OPINIONS  are NOT distress.

http://www.ushistory.org/betsy/flagcode.htm

KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 10:56 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• I never thought it was appropriate to use UNLESS there is a real emergency at the location where the upside down flag is. I think folks who fly their flag upside down to show that their country as a whole is in distress, are a bunch of drama queens. I don't think it's Ok to use a distress call when you are not really in distress.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 11:04 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• People used it as a way of asking for help before telephone and radio were invented to ask for help! No I do not think it is appropriate now! I think they need to take those many, many flags off the poles and givve them to the homeless as blankets instead. I also think thy should spend less time of thinking how to upset others and go do something useful to help the country since they think it needs so much help!
    tryin2BGOOD

Answer by tryin2BGOOD at 10:44 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• The Flag code states that the flag should never be flown upside down except in cases of dire distress where there is extreme danger to your life or your property.  It's intent is to call for emergency assistance. Flying it upside down in protest of the current administration is a far stretch from your life being in danger.

KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 10:45 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• I think they need to take those many, many flags off the poles and givve them to the homeless as blankets instead.

Problem with this is it shows disrespect for the flag. The flag represents a living country and thus itself is a "living thing" (figuratively speaking of course). So we ought to treat it with the utmost respect and not as something that could be easily soiled or thrown away. Not to mention the material it's made out of would do a piss poor job of keeping people warm. But I do agree with the sentiments of helping others!
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 10:49 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• It is a way to signal distress. It is not disrespectful.

Not if you're using it in the right way, such as someone had a heart attack and needs emergency care or your barn caught fire and you need to call for emergency assistance to put it out. But using it to voice your opinion on politics IS disrespectful and a violation of it's intent.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 10:52 AM on Sep. 27, 2010