is an epidural really as bad as it sounds?

im almost 36 weeks pregnant and i still havent made a pain managment decision..i just dont know about a needle in my back..any suggestions? please?

mom2b112108

Asked by mom2b112108 at 9:01 PM on Oct. 21, 2008 in Pregnancy

• Well, to be honest it hurts... and is very uncomfortable. However, compared to the pain of labor without it!!! It's a hands down for me to have one. Just make sure you have someone VERY experienced placing the epidural and you will be fine. Just listen and told very very still like they say and you'll be fine.
    AshJoe05

Answer by AshJoe05 at 9:03 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• Its just like a IV Doesn't really hurt (they numb you) Unless they miss the epidural space now that HURTS!

robinalbright

Answer by robinalbright at 9:03 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• mine hurt no more than getting an IV put in or blood drawn.

there are side effects you can get but they are rare. backache and headaches are the main ones.

baby #1- natural no meds. baby #2 pitocin, tried to get through it but got the epi 30 minutes before pusing. baby #3 epi before they broke my water. easiest labor! I slept until time to push.

the only side effect that I had was my left leg was numb longer than the rest of me, and my bladder got numbed so when it woke up I made a mess ;o)

my recommendation- if they don't give you any meds like pitocin and let you go at your own speed, you might not need it. If they give you pitocin, don't be anti-epi. pitocin makes the pain 10X worse.
    flutterfae

Answer by flutterfae at 9:04 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• the worst part of the epi for me was the contractions while they are doing it. you can't move or they might mess up, so you have to stay still.
    flutterfae

Answer by flutterfae at 9:05 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• I'm not a huge fan of needles, and I was SO scared of the epidural... Believe me, after 9 hours of labor, I was READY for it! You only really feel the first needle, which is the numbing medication. The needle is tiny. It feels like a pinch or bee sting or something. The epidural needle itself--- It is a really weird sensation, and it does kind of hurt, but it's really not bad. I was SO glad I got it! Mine didn't kick in as quickly as it should have, but about 45 minutes after getting it, I was good to go! While they were putting it in, I just focused on something else. I kept picturing my baby's ultrasound pictures & thinking about how ready I was to meet him. I survived, and many more have, so you will too! Good luck & congrats!
    heather.huckaby

Answer by heather.huckaby at 9:05 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• it doesnt hurt at i was expecting it to hurt and waiting and getting mad bending over waiting for them to hurry and be done and when i finally asked they had been done for a while i never even felt it go in,it doesnt hurt at all,and i planned on not getting it,but im glad i did.felt no pain going in or during labor and delivery
    photogrypher

Answer by photogrypher at 9:05 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• it does not hurt at all and trust me your not gonna think twice about taking it because the contractions hurt but once you get the epidural you fell like ur in heaven and i just had my first born on the 6th and i also did not get on till i was already 9 centimeters. so trust me when i tell there is no pain when it comes to the epidural. GOOD LUCK WITH UR BABY
    vanessa0211

Answer by vanessa0211 at 9:12 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• mine didnt hurt at the point and time but im telling you 4 years later im hurting my SO cant even rub hard on one spot on my back from where they did it ..
    iloveyall2008

Answer by iloveyall2008 at 9:13 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• ( I also forgot to mention, mine hurt b/c they were just a little bit off in the exact spot where it was supposed to be... that made it not work as well and hurt. To this day (2 years later) that spot still hurts)
    AshJoe05

Answer by AshJoe05 at 9:19 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• No... do it.
    LovinMyMikayla

Answer by LovinMyMikayla at 9:25 PM on Oct. 21, 2008