Do you drop off your teens unsupervised at the mall?

As a teen, I spent an awful lot of time roaming the mall with friends.

As a parent, I'd be at the mall, wandering too, not hovering, but the girls would know I could see there behavior at any time.

Now, malls are banning the long lived mall rat tradition...and seeing hikes in both customers and sales.

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/shopping-malls-increasingly-putting-restrictions-teens/story?id=11701470&cid=yahoo_pitchlist

lovinangels

Asked by lovinangels at 10:39 AM on Sep. 27, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• I was a mall rat, too.. Nowadays though, it wouldn't my kid I was worried about but other people's kids.. I hate it when I go the mall now (as an adult) and see the riffraff that hangs out there...
    Lisa.Price

Answer by Lisa.Price at 10:40 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• *their, not there
    lovinangels

Comment by lovinangels (original poster) at 10:42 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• I know the mall around here bans anyone under the age of 18 without a parent after 5pm. When I was a teen I remember them banning sitting at the food court without food lol .... yeah that didn't last long!
    kaylan010

Answer by kaylan010 at 10:44 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Sad to say i love the mall as much as my girls do.. So we can go together or in different cars either way we are all there many times.. We text each other to see which mall to visit next lol..
    MTM

Answer by MTM at 10:44 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• I personally see nothing wrong with being out. I didn't have a mall to go to when younger. This generation has a benefit of larger scale than we ever saw. It isn't bad to be a "mall frequent--er", so many teens growing up were kids just like we were, let them enjoy this area as it is public, clean, guarded, their are usually many grown up's all over, ... did I mention guards?. And it's got clean stocked bathrooms, not to mention it exposes them to just exploring life, without having to buy every single moment. Although I think that more constructive and structured activities could be offered/ integrated in the mall itself--- so far it's mostly for little ones projects, like make and take creations for toddlers, ---pre-teens. Perhaps it's the catch all for those that aren't interested in church or it's just nice to sit and have chit--chat.// text ...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:53 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Sometimes people are not into sports. Not all teens" want "to compete. Not all are --able-- to. In the days I grew up we had churches for night time action. We played indoor team games. Picking sides for naming the books of the bible, and giving out answers, then we got rewarded with a candy, or stuff, but these teen days are much more dramatic, and into material things, (we just never had the opportunity), although I would have jumped at it surely.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:58 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• I would.  I'd probably make them take the bus to the mall, though.  That's how I got there as a kid (although my mall was just a couple miles away and the mall here is in another city...2 buses away but not that far).

My oldest is 10 and working her way to being able to walk through our sub division, cross the tracks and go to the Safeway with her siblings and friends.  Right now they run all over the sub division (even taking the baby for walks...that was nice).  I wish we had a store closer for them to walk to or that the tracks didn't run behind our house cutting us off from Safeway which is just a couple blocks going that way.

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 12:38 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• My kids know how to behave in public be it the mall or elsewhere. Having said that, I don't make a habit of letting them wander aimlessly anywhere. Idle hands do the devils work so to speak.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 12:52 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• after 14, yes i would...really? Dont be a helicopter parent!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 1:36 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• I do not. When kids rove in packs they are much more likely to get into trouble, especially when there isn't any direct adult supervision. And aside from what the kids themselves can get into, there is always the worry about predators.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 2:36 PM on Sep. 27, 2010