How to stop grinding teeth...

My bf grinds his teeth when he is in a deep sleep, giving him alot of jaw pain durring the day. He bought a mouth piece to wear, but he just spits it out after about an hour, so it doesnt really help, what else can we try that might help?

sarahlu

Asked by sarahlu at 10:41 AM on Sep. 27, 2010 in Health

• My hubby had a special one made by his dentist. It works because it's a tight specialized fit.
    kaylan010

Answer by kaylan010 at 10:42 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Same as kaylan...my dentist made mine. It fits almost like the invisible braces so you can't pop it out when asleep.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:44 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• They sell straps to keep mouth guards in your mouth. If he has the cheap ones you buy over the counter make sure he puts it in almost boiling water and then puts it in his mouth so it molds to his teeth.
    smileyashmommy

Answer by smileyashmommy at 10:54 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Yep..mouth guards. You can get 'em from walgreens I hear. I need to buy one too.
    SparklingHope

Answer by SparklingHope at 11:02 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• If he has already tried the mouth guards from the store and it is not working, then he should talk to his dentist about having a customized dental mouth guard made. I hope he finds one that works and gets some relief!
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 11:49 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• your bf should run some blood tests and see if he has a lack of calcium ...that's the reason usually. If not, might be the stress so he might use some magnesium supplement
    DavidsMommy85

Answer by DavidsMommy85 at 3:42 PM on Sep. 27, 2010