(Pagans) Blood Oaths, what do you know about them?

I want to know what you think about them, what it is to you? How real is it? How does it work, metaphysically? Do you have any experience with them or know of those who have done one? If so, what happened? For those who believe in reincarnation, does the oath continue into the other lives? Is it possible to break a blood oath without cause harm to one's self? Is a blood oath stronger than wedding vows? Any religious references to blood oaths? I'm looking for source material, not the fiction thats currently out there.

isabellalecour

Asked by isabellalecour at 10:46 AM on Sep. 27, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• In my experience a blood oath is meant to be stronger than a simply verbal oath. It's the idea that you can SAY anything, but when you commit to a blood oath you are putting things on a different level. You're literally putting your physical self in to it. And yes, IMO they are much stronger than wedding vows. We see wedding vows broken every day with little to know consequences, blood oaths on the other hand tend to have some serious energy involved with them and to break them tends to come with the expected negative consequence.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:20 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• It's very serious and should be thought about greatly and in depth.
    I believe it's very real.
    Your souls are bound to each other until the oath or promise is completed.
    I have no experience with them.
    If the oath or promise is not completed before death of either individual, I believe it goes into the next life until it's done.
    I don't believe it's possible to break without harming yourself.
    I don't think stronger than wedding vows. I think this would go along with soul mates finding each other in each life and that wedding vows are kind of like renewal vows every incarnation.
    I'm not aware of any religious ties, but I'm sure someone will know.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 11:06 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• The only blood I ever use in ritual is my own Menses.
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 3:27 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• The only experience I have with blood oaths is through an ex boyfriend who was a fanatical Christian. Because we had been "intimate" he believed we had a blood oath and were as committed as being married. When I broke up with him, he told me I was going to hell because broken blood oaths were never forgiven by God.
    lilangilyn

Answer by lilangilyn at 6:38 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• Here is how I feel about 'blood oaths', etc.
    EWWWWWWWWWWWW.
    I don't want to see it or read about it .
    Blood belongs in your body....in your veins and arteries,etc. That's it.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 11:18 AM on Sep. 27, 2010