Infant sleep schedule

My two month old tends to fall asleep at around 6AM, and wakes up somewhere between 2 and 4 PM (wakes to nurse every couple hours, then falls back asleep). How can I get his schedule changed to an earlier hour?? We're trying to start implementing a sleep time routine, but it's still very new.

musicpisces

Asked by musicpisces at 9:01 PM on Oct. 21, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• when my 2 month old was about 4 weeks old, she finally got into her sleep routine of going to sleep at 10 pm. She would sleep about 5 hours, eat, and then I would lay her back down. Whenever she would wake up to eat during the night hours, I would keep the lights out to keep her from light stimuli. She fussed for the first week or so, but she eventually settled into the routine. By the time she was 7 weeks, she was sleeping about 8 hours at night. Now she is 11 weeks and sleeps from 9-11 hours at night!
    nsteinerlpn

Answer by nsteinerlpn at 8:30 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• my baby girl also used to do this...they have their nights and days mixed up. I kept her up for hours by reading and playing with her. when she would try to go to sleep id undress her and tuckle her feet. then i put her down around 12 for a nap the around 8 id give her a bath with the night time bath feed her and then rock her to sleep. She's been on this schedule for about a month now and sleep nearly throuh the night
    vichall23

Answer by vichall23 at 9:25 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• persistence! lol our son was born with reflux, and he slept in his car seat til he was 4 weeks old.. but when he turned 5 weeks old, we moved him to his crib, he is under a strict schedule.. at 7pm he gets his last feeding, then a bath, then a baby massage, then a book, he's 3.5 months now, then bed, we make several trips into his room to pat his back and reinsert the paci, but he's out for about 12 hours, then when he gets up, we take dad to work, then he takes a mid morning nap, never more than an hour, and then around 5 we go get dad and he falls asleep in the car... then starts all over.. good luck, but just keep trying, not all babies are easy.. im sure he will throw us a curve ball sooner or later..
    sweetscrappin

Answer by sweetscrappin at 9:26 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• My ped told us to keep our son awake more in the afternoon (only allow shorter naps of around 1hr) and then aestablish a good bedtime routine.
    gwood

Answer by gwood at 10:40 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• I don't think you should put an infant on a sleep schedule especially when they need to nurse so often and when there growth spurts are so many and so close together at this age. Mine is 2 months old also so I understand. Babies need more nurturing rather than control at that age.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:00 AM on Oct. 22, 2008

• A routine is fine, for instance, bath, story, nurse/bottle, bed, or whatever you want. But I wouldn't implement a "schedule" just yet. Young babies still need to eat during the night, as they go through growth spurts every few weeks. In fact, 2 months is about the time for a growth spurt..
    MamaCeleste0722

Answer by MamaCeleste0722 at 8:44 AM on Oct. 22, 2008