Do you allow your teen to smoke?

Alot of people answered my question about drinking and said it was ok for them to be able to have alcohol before 21. So do you allow them to smoke before 18?
Both are potentially damaging to their health and bodies.

Asked by butterflyblue19 at 10:48 AM on Sep. 27, 2010 in Relationships

• No! We don't smoke and have no desire to ever start and our teenagers think it is also a disgusting habit. They also think drinking alcohol is also bad and hate it when we have any. We have chosen to not drink or smoke and so have our teenagers.
    Congenial

Answer by Congenial at 11:01 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• No - I won't allow my kids to smoke before 18 (or after in my presence - it's a nasty habit!) or drink alcohol before 21.

Answer by missanc at 10:51 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• no way
    DWeitz

Answer by DWeitz at 10:51 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• No i raised my girls with the belief that I would break their fingers if I caught them smoking. they are 17,19 and 23 and still have yet to do it
    togo90210

Answer by togo90210 at 10:51 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• My DD does neither one. She has seen the outcome of some things in older sister's family. Dd has made the decision before I could even ask her not too.
    tryin2BGOOD

Answer by tryin2BGOOD at 10:51 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• I don't have teens yet, but NO -- they will not be allowed to smoke!! However I started smoking when I was 12 (sneaking cigs from my mom) and my mom of course did not allow it but it never deterred me. Finally by age 17 or so she was OK with me smoking in front of her (I was buying my own at the time). My dad still doesn't know to this day that I smoked (I have quit since then).
    So just because you don't allow it does not mean your teens won't do it.
    MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 11:11 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Plus my Hubby threatens her on a daily basis, and tells her we love her though.
    tryin2BGOOD

Answer by tryin2BGOOD at 10:53 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• nope. i won't allow my children to do ANYTHING illegal while they're in my home. after that, i hope that i've taught them well enough for them to not want to do that stuff... sadly, their father wants to start drinking with their father at 16....... not gonna happen... as far as i can stop it. (i have sole custody, but i can't be there all the time with them.... so just hoping they respect my house rules while they're with him.)
    gracefulsky

Answer by gracefulsky at 10:54 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• My mother allowed me to smoke at 15. Her theory was that since she smoked, she really couldnt' tell me not too.

I don't agree with her way of thinking. Parenting is also about telling your child that they aren't allowed to do something bad for them even when you don't follow your own advise. I will not be allowing mine to smoke until they are old enough to buy their own legally and have a job to support that habit.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:01 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• No I don't allow or not allow him to smoke but he makes up his own mind.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 11:06 AM on Sep. 27, 2010