Shaving? adult content

Ok, my 9 year old (will be 10 in Nov.) has been told by her peditrician that she is "developing" early. The doctor even told us that she could start her menstral between now and 12 years because of her level of development, but that it will most likely be within the next year. Anyways, her underarms were very hairy and I desided to let her shave her underarms. She has began to ask about shaving her legs, but I told her that she is too young for that and that I will probably let her when she starts her menstral. My question is, is she too early or am I doing the right thing by at least waiting until she starts her monthly cycle?

motherof4and2

Asked by motherof4and2 at 10:55 AM on Sep. 27, 2010 in General Parenting

• I remember shaving my legs very early because my older sister did. Then I remember not doing it routinely for a couple of years. I don't get the big deal about shaving your legs?
    kaylan010

Answer by kaylan010 at 10:57 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• I started shaving my legs at 9. I started my period at 11. If she wants to shave, why not let her? Rather than make her be the kid with hairy legs amongst all her friends.
    IMO, shaving a period have nothing in common. It's not like she is wanting to shave her pubic hair.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:58 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• I will let my daughter when she asks. I have no problems with my daughter shaving her legs (currently 7 yo) as long as she knows what she is doing and can do it without cutting herself.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 10:59 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• I let my DD shave because her underarms are very hairy usually. She does not always shave though, but as for her legs... not very hairy.
    tryin2BGOOD

Answer by tryin2BGOOD at 11:00 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Let me tell you for someone hows Mom would not let me shave my legs and you could tell I needed. That is if she has dark hair. It is so embarrassing to have other tease you because of your hair legs. I hated to wear shorts or dresses that summer. IT was not till my cousin said something to my Mom that she let me.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 11:14 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• ITs not too early I started my mentrual at 11 and shaved at 10. Most girls start at 11 or 12 thats not really early my sister started hers at 7
    AWebber212

Answer by AWebber212 at 11:35 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• My 9 yo has asked me about shaving her legs. I asked her if she wanted to do it, she said not yet. But, I already plan to let her start next year in 5th grade with a Veet, so I don't have to worry about her cutting herself.

Answer by missanc at 12:01 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• i remember wanting to shave my legs so bad and then when i did finally it wasnt a big deal anymore and it wasnt like i did it all the time, it was kind of a hassel after awhile. so i would, i will be lettting my daughter when she wants to. =)
    hotmommy420

Answer by hotmommy420 at 12:13 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• I would let her, what could be the harm in letting her shave her legs? Just teach her the right way to do it so she wont cut herself and I'm sure she would be fine.
    Becca1189

Answer by Becca1189 at 12:21 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• my girls (4 of them) willbe taught to shave between 10 and 11!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 1:27 PM on Sep. 27, 2010