Wondering how I should have better handled an unruly child at my twins birthday party. What should have I done?

I am still very upset! My twins had their 3rd birthday party the other day. When it came time to open gifts, a four year old girl insisted on helping my daughter open presents. The mother said only if the birthday girl said it was okay. My daughter said yes, before the opening started. I right away thought it was inapporpriate for the mother to volunteer her daughter to help. From the start the 4 year old was right in the middle of the action opening gifts. I firmly say "No, this is her birthday let her open them." The parents would give an empty threat, the dauther would scream a piercing scream and continue opening gifts and right in the middle of it all. My husband even said firmly for her to stop. Nothing seemed to work. I was wondering if I was over reacting but after the party people told me it was a mess! They did not want to see their gifts opened up by someone they did not know. What should have I done?

AmyLynn5398

Asked by AmyLynn5398 at 11:02 AM on Sep. 27, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• If I were in that situation, I would have kindly asked the mother to come pick her up out of the middle of the "action"... I would have said "Sweetie, (talking to the mother) can you get her, it's starting to get crowded in here." then in my sweet southern voice, I'd have said "Bless her heart, she' ready for her own birthday party!"... then left it alone. Just thank the good Lord that it was only for a moment. Her poor parents have to live with it every day.... There is always gonna be that 1 kid at a birthday party that makes you wonder why you even bothered. Just take it in stride and remember who not to invite next year unless they've had an attitude adjustment.
    VanessaMomof2

Answer by VanessaMomof2 at 11:24 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Poor thing. What SHOULD have happened was for the parents to remove their child from the situation so you didn't have to handle it. Since they did not, it would not have been out of line for you to stop all present opening and ask the parents to remove their child, so your daughter can open her own gifts.
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 11:11 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Don't ever invite that girl back. It was inappropiate of her to do that.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 11:55 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• While it's annoying I wouldn't let it bother you too much, nothing is ever going to go exactly as plaaned, you have to go with the flow and make the best of it!!
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 11:12 AM on Sep. 27, 2010