married yet a single parent

Do you do 100% of everything?
Does your dh/so help out at all? and what do they do?
Or is your homelife stuck in the dark ages where the women did it all and all the man feels he needs to do is work 40 hours, come home and sit on his arse?

togo90210

Asked by togo90210 at 11:08 AM on Sep. 27, 2010 in Relationships

• I use to be a married single parent (we'd have a fight to get him to change A diaper for me back then so I can go run away for a few minutes). My husband has stepped up a lot and tries to help me when he can and is not busy working or need a rest. Yesterday him and Samuel went to chuck e cheese with his mom (his sister works there) and they hung out there all evening while I got a break.
    SparklingHope

Answer by SparklingHope at 11:12 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• My husband has done 2 deployments to Iraq and his days are usually 10 hours long, but he ALWAYS comes home and helps with bed time routines and lets me sleep in on the week ends. We have an understanding that caring for our two kids is my full time job. I think I am pretty lucky.
    DoveMomma

Answer by DoveMomma at 11:16 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• My hubby works 90 hours a week ... so yes, I do all of the home stuff!
    kaylan010

Answer by kaylan010 at 11:09 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• I live with someone that until I make more than fifty thousand I am doing nothing so I should do the house and yardwork.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 11:11 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Pretty much, but that's how it has to be for now, though he helps out where he can. He works 4 jobs so I have nothing to gripe about.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:12 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Dh decides what he's going to do... whether or not I have a list of things I need done. For instance, the other day, I asked him to carry some boxes out to the garage, and wash up from dinner while I was at work, and hang the curtains.

I came home, and he had painted the downstairs bathroom. I REALLY needed my list done, but I had to haul those boxes out to the garage myself, because he thought painting was more important.

The boxes were dangerous where they were, the kids kept getting into them, and they were making my life absolute hell, but I wasn't supposed to say anything, because he'd painted.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:14 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• My dh works about 12 hours a day everyday but sunday, so I do most of the work at home, but he does help out some. Even if you have to do all the work at home, that doesn't make you a single mother, single mom's have to do all the work at home, and work enough to make enough money to support themselves and thier children, it's not the same
    Liz132

Answer by Liz132 at 11:14 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• I agree Liz. i have been a single mom for 5 years..no child support, working alot. My SIL used to say she was a single mom in her nice big house because her husband worked 80 hours a week paying for everything. She did do alot..but the finances are a huge thing for single moms.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 11:28 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• I use to do everything when we first got married. But not anymore, he helps when I ask. Since he works during the week, I usually hve him help on weekends
    redrose36

Answer by redrose36 at 11:30 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• No. I do not do 100% of everything.. Never have.

Yes, my husband helps out around here. He does everything I do and then some. He runs errands, he cooks, he cleans, he does the laundry (which I do not do period), and anything/everything else that needs done or I need help with. He has had his faults during the last 25 years , however, not helping me out around the house, hasn't been one of them for over 15 years now.

And yes, I am a housewife and my husband works 40hrs a week.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 11:21 AM on Sep. 27, 2010