When did you know your path was the right one for you?

I knew that the Christian path was not going to be for me when I attended Midnight Mass in 2000. Midnight Mass was when I used to feel the most spiritual, the most "at home" with my faith. I'd had odd feelings leading up to that point, but Midnight Mass sealed the deal.

I say odd feelings because, though I would not always pay attention to the Sermon, Gospel, and Lessons, I would always leave with a sense of understanding. In 2000, that understanding was gone and I explored other options.

At first, it was Wicca (this seems to be VERY common) and over the last ten years of reading and researching and opening myself to the Universe, I've found home in being Pagan. I consider myself a Druidic Witch and feel very comfortable with where I am now, feeling more at home than I did when I was Christian (attending the Episcopal church).

What about you?

_Tam_

Asked by _Tam_ at 11:13 AM on Sep. 27, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I had been a spiritual seeker for over 20 years and found many ideas i loved but also had some big obstacles in the systems to commit myself to any one path. when i attended lodge and learned to use the medicine wheel i just felt as if i had come home - it was a language i had always known and always spoken but just hadn't experienced until that moment. my path includes the same elements i loved about christianity and wicca without those i did not. there is nothing about the teachings i follow that doesn't sit right or feel like home for me and that does not reveal truth and guidance to me. it is the only path that has brought me true connection and inner peace far superior to any i had experienced before,
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 10:45 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• I have been a free spirit since the day I was born.  I have never been enslaved by dogma.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 11:25 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• I found Paganism when I was 6, although I didn't know a real name for what I believed... It was simply what was always in my heart... I was being taught Christianity, it simply didn't hold the answers for me, I had different understanding, different beliefs and Christianity taught those things were wrong or evil - which I knew to be different... So although I had a LONG road ahead of me and a lot of "soul searching" I was 6 when I was introduced to Paganism and never looked back.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:54 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• beeky - It makes me smile to read that. =)
    _Tam_

Comment by _Tam_ (original poster) at 11:45 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• I knew I was on the right path when what was taught in the pulpit directly came from the bible. I came from a family that did not put much emphasis on church or religion in particular. So then how does a child of 3 or 5 understand the longing in her soul? She just does. Someone must have taught it, though, but my mother speaks of me always insisting that we should be in church. The path is not always easy, but I know this is right for me.
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 1:03 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• It was at a TEC conference when I was in high school when I figured out I was on the WRONG path.  I left that encounter feeling like the doggy stuff on the bottom of mankind's shoe...and no amount of contrition or absolution could help me.  Christ's love was 100% conditional and I didn't meet those conditions.  That's when I started getting into drugs and being bad for badness sake.  If I was going to Hell, it would be for something real, not just thinking dirty about Patrick Swayze, or missing church on Sunday.  Then in college, I met some "Earth Religion Practioners" and they introduced me to the Goddess!  Her Love Is Unconditional.  Just like any Mother's love.  No arbitrary rules...just the Laws of Nature.  And 14ish years later, I am happy happy happy to still be her Daughter!! 

MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 2:36 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Do I really have to choose a Best Answer for this question? They're all very good and personal; I'd hate to choose just one.
    _Tam_

Comment by _Tam_ (original poster) at 2:48 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Well, I always found inconsistencies and downright hypocrisies in certain beliefs and ideas my parents had. I was raised in a Reform Jewish household. As I started learning a bit more, I realized it was a fallacy and just not something that made me feel fulfilled. DH and I are now Orthodox Jews.

Sharon
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 3:51 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• I still don't know.. there are so many religions out there that I feel drawn to and connected with. I grew up a Christian and that is what I identify as, but I like Buddhism, Taoism, Paganism, Judaism, Hinduism, Islam - you name it there is something in it that I like, but there are also other things I don't. Sometimes I feel like just giving up. lol. But I try to use what I like about them, I still call myself a Christian, because I believe in Jesus, but not as God.

Charmom2

Answer by Charmom2 at 4:52 PM on Sep. 27, 2010