Why is it so bad to be a single mom??

Especially a single teenage mother.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:18 AM on Sep. 27, 2010 in General Parenting

• Just a note to all the negative responders....my son is 6yo and has been raised the entire 6 yrs by his single mother. He is the sweetest, most well-adjusted child I know (not just my opinion either, all of the teachers and admin staff at his school absolutely love him). ALSO, I may be a single mom, but I am the president of the PTO for his school, I am his cub scout leader, I work full-time and run my own business. Yes, we're busy but we get to spend TONS of quality time together. I am a better single parent than MANY married parents. I have a college degree which I obtained AFTER he was born. I am financially stable, I have NEVER needed any government assistance. Not ALL single / teenage mothers lack ambition to get to where they need to be to take good care of their children.
    travzmom

Answer by travzmom at 12:31 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I don't think it's bad. What I hate are the single teenage mothers who think they can still go out with their friends, go to parties, do whatever they want, and still be a mom. If you are "mature" enough to have unprotected sex, you should be prepared to be pregnant and have a child, because that's what sex does. If you decide to keep your child instead of giving them up for adoption, then you should be prepared to leave your own adolescence behind!
    SarahLeeMorgan

Answer by SarahLeeMorgan at 11:23 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• You're asking why shouldn't children have children? Uhm, yeah.
    snivic

Answer by snivic at 11:22 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Because most teenage mothers are still babies themselves and not responsible/mature enough to take care of another child. When you have a child, he/she comes before everything else...parties, going out with friends...everything!
    motherofpearls

Answer by motherofpearls at 11:26 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Examine the statistics ... look at what the numbers say about teen parenting. Look at how many teen parents are on welfare and receiving other services at taxpayer expense. Look at abuse and neglect statistics. Look at how many things a teen mother misses out on.
    Far too many teens have been raised to want what they want when they want it - and have decided that they don't want to wait to become parents. They have no real concept of the amount of time, money, work, effort, and sacrifice that it takes to raise a child. Much of that burden shifts to the taxpayer.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 3:11 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• It's not. Some people are just judgmental. I'm sure there are single teenage mothers out there that are hell of a lot better then some families out there that have two parents.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 11:21 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• I wouldn't say it's bad, you do what you have to do, I just think it would be hard especially for a teen. I think it's better for a child to have two loving parents, but sometimes that doesn't happen, not all parents are good, or relationships and it can't always work that way. A single parent can be a great parent, too
    Liz132

Answer by Liz132 at 11:23 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• I knew this would happen. I'm the mother of a four year old and working on my pharmacy degree....oh yeah, I'm 18. I never said it's ok to have children young but it happens right?
    iluvmm09

Answer by iluvmm09 at 11:26 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• You have got to be kidding right?
    BlacksheepSati

Answer by BlacksheepSati at 11:35 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Educated and financially stable aren't necessarily what a child needs. It's unfair to bring a child into this world who will be ignored because the parents are more vested in their high-powered careers, so the kids are raised by daycares, nannys, and teachers. Then at home, perhaps the parents ignore or compartmentalize their kids, so they can continue the life they built before children. That's not an unusual situation for upper-class families. Does that mean it's always true? No. Nor is it always true that young or single mothers are financially dependent on the government or make poor parents. The parent might be educated and financially stable, but that doesn't make them a good parent.
    Bellarose0212

Answer by Bellarose0212 at 12:42 PM on Sep. 27, 2010