When is it safe to start chunkier solids??

My son is 8 months old but already has 5 teeth. I want to start on like some mashed potatoes, bread and pasta is it safe to try??

jamiesmom1

Asked by jamiesmom1 at 10:18 AM on Jul. 2, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I started my daughter on baby food at 6 months. I introduced foods one at a time to make sure she didn't have an allergy to it. She was eating soft fruit right after (like peaches.) There are a lot of gerber products that help with solids. My daughter at the puff snacks that come in different flavors. They seem big but they melt in their mouth. Hope this helps.
    jbh66

Answer by jbh66 at 10:38 AM on Jul. 2, 2008

• I would think so, as long as you cut it up in very small pieces. You may want to check with your ped., but I think it is ok. Just watch to make sure he doesn't choke.
    sunshinepraying

Answer by sunshinepraying at 10:50 AM on Jul. 2, 2008

• http://www.gerber.com/feedingplan

i used this as a guideline - dont take it too literal - babies are ready when they want to be - but try to get as close to their chart as possible - its pretty acurate - they should know!

there is alot on this website to help you but on the printable feeding chart is tons of info to help you transition from one food to the next.

also http://www.gerber.com/fptimeline
    vakatia

Answer by vakatia at 12:12 PM on Jul. 2, 2008

• My 11 mo has been on table food since he was about 8mo. He had 5 teeth. He chewed the baby food really well, so I wasn't too worried. I was breaking everything up into very small pieces until 1 month ago when he cut 3 more teeth. He has always been a very good eater. All babies are different. If you are comfortable with it, it is probably ok.
    drowninginboys

Answer by drowninginboys at 2:07 PM on Jul. 2, 2008