It seems my son only crys around me

I have a 15 month old son and he went to his grandpas for the weekend then i come to pick him up and as soon as i get there he gets fussy my dad said he was great all weekend then i come and he crys same with my husband he says he doesnt cry at all for him then i get home and he crys is something wrong with me? does my son not like me? i have no idea what it is or what i do

Mrs.Jolly

Asked by Mrs.Jolly at 9:05 PM on Oct. 21, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• many times children feel freer to express their frustrations and tears on mom, so in a way take it as a compliment. they are distracted and busy when at daycare or grandma's, etc, so when mommy picks them up they have a little meltdown. it's pretty common. they hold it all in just for you! don't you feel special, lol? just let them have their meltdown and things will calm down.
    KnoxvilleDoula

Answer by KnoxvilleDoula at 10:40 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• my son is 4 months and I get the same thing! I think he's bored of me since i stay home with him all the time sorry im not much help
    bigtrucksgirl

Answer by bigtrucksgirl at 9:06 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• But I'm not a stay at home mom i go to school full time and he isnt around me that much
    Mrs.Jolly

Answer by Mrs.Jolly at 9:10 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• My daughter only cries when I go out of the room and my husband will be sill in the room, then I come back and she stops. Does he stop crying when u pick him up or does he smile??
    Anonymous

• *TRY not to take it personally. when EXACTLY does he get upset? If you pick him up while he's doing something?? If this is the case, it's because he does not want what he was doing to be interrupted. Play is extremely important learning time for little ones, and they can get irritated when they are taken away from that, especially without warning. ;) (I have a background in early childhood edu.)
    I'd suggest kneeling and saying hello to him, and telling him that you're going to pick him up now. Or, just say hello and give him a little more time with whatever he is playing with.
    Don't worry that he doesn't like you. It IS a phase that lots of babies go through!!
    mrseum

Answer by mrseum at 9:30 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• well he crys as soon as he sees me walk through the door and most of the time starts smiling when i pick him up but lately i havent been picking him up and he throws a fit but when i picked him up then i go to put him back down he fliped out and threw a fit
    Mrs.Jolly

Answer by Mrs.Jolly at 9:40 PM on Oct. 21, 2008