Pentagon destroys thousands of copies of Army officer's memoir

Link text

All of a sudden they are worried about the truth coming out?

Thoughts?

itsmesteph11

Asked by itsmesteph11 at 11:31 AM on Sep. 27, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Either way the truth always comes out one way or another.
    itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 11:33 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• My husband and I just watched this on tv. His book contains a lot of information that was considered ok to televise on CSpan. The Army gave him the go ahead. Then the department of defense changed their mind. Some of the terms /acronyms the DOD said was "top secret" my hubs said was on Halo and other XBox games. Lol. What's next?
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 11:38 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Propaganda. Not the book, but the act of the Pentagon.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 11:42 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• In the memoir, Shaffer recalls his time in Afghanistan leading a black-ops team during the Bush administration. The Bronze Star medal recipient told CNN he believes the Bush administraton's biggest mistake during that time was misunderstanding the culture there
    ***************
    I copied this from the Link. The guy discusses his experience. BUT....The Pentagon doesn't like it when people tell the truth. That seems to be par for the course in the Military and the Government.
    I read a book about the CIA a while ago in which so many things were blacked out,it was silly. Well, it was silly inn my opinion but not as far as the CIA goes. Truth is not a favorite word there
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 12:02 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• I guess I'm finding myself not very surprised.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 12:24 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• I heard this on talk radio on the way home from work a little while ago. The man who wrote the book was being interviewed and basically said most of what was in the book was already pre approved by the DD and has already been verbalized in various court hearings. So then...what is the point. The information is and was already out there and declared to not be a threat to security.
    And besides, the publisher can always print more copies.
    This is your tax dollars going to buy books at a cost of $47,000 and then be burned. Might as well have wiped Obama's ass with it first.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 12:37 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• I thought It was funny when I first heard it. They are making the book a best seller, now people will want to read it.

From what I have heard, the things they put in the book you can get your-self. So it is not a threat to security.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 3:45 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• There's nothing in that book that ain't been posted by wikileaks or used in the new Modern Warfare games anyway so what's the DOD so friggin worried about?
    BlueCollarMama

Answer by BlueCollarMama at 5:15 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• They really made asses of themselves on this one. I'd have to guess that the motives were more political posturing than anything else. All the Pentagon accomplished was getting more media play on the book. If they were really that concerned they wouldn't have approved most of the text before publishing.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 9:11 AM on Sep. 28, 2010