I am breast feeding and need help!

One of my breasts is not producing milk what should I do? The other is always full.. I just started pumping after 3 months of no pumping is that the reason why? But , I need help I dont want to stop breast feeding...???????????

motherofpearl3

Asked by motherofpearl3 at 11:37 AM on Sep. 27, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Are you in the breastfeeding group? If not, join and ask there. There are a lot of smart moms in that group.
    Missbehaves

Answer by Missbehaves at 11:42 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Honestly, I would go to your doctor. I wouldn't think pumping would have anything to do with it. Call your doc, they probably have a lot of advice. In the meantime I hope you get some helpfull advice from the BF moms on here :)
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 11:43 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• To start with, I would begin nursing on that side every feeding, then switch to the other side. Also, I would call a lactation consultant or your doctor for further advice. Good luck to you! :)
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 11:44 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• How do you know that it's not producing? One side could feel engorged because it is over producing from nursing and pumping. also, do NOT depend on the pump to gage how much you are producing. Most women only pump 1 oz every sitting vs the 5-6 oz that a baby will be able to nurse out of you.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:50 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• I pump on that breast and get nothing :(
    motherofpearl3

Comment by motherofpearl3 (original poster) at 11:51 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Also, after about the 4th month, my breasts stopped letting down for a pump and would only let down for my baby. My nurse told me that can happen, it's psychological. It doesn't necessarily mean that you aren't producing milk, though. Good luck. :)
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 11:57 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• I am breastfeeding and he gets enough there but when I pump I can only get at most 1oz. It doesnt mean you dont have any milk it means you can't pump. I thought the same thing until I asked around and found out it's common. My son will only eat off the left side. The right comes out much slower and he isnt patient but eats great on the left side. hope this helps and good luck!!
    Nienna7477

Answer by Nienna7477 at 11:59 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Just because you can't pump doesn't mean you don't have milk. Some women breastfeed fine and can't pump any milk. It's not unusual for one breast to let down easier than the other. The way to tell if you have enough milk is if your baby is gaining at least 4 oz a week or a pound a month. How much you can pump or how your breasts feel are not reliable ways to tell how much milk you have.

Why would you have to stop breastfeeding because you can't get milk by pump from one breast? Even if you only had one breast, you can breastfeed with just one breast.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:09 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• The vast majority doctors have little or no training in breastfeeding and don't have anyone in their office that is trained. For breastfeeding help you call La Leche League or a laction consultant.

http://www.kellymom.com/ is a great breastfeeding website.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:11 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Don't let pump output worry you. All a pump can show you is how much you are able to pump. Baby always gets more then a pump. If you are EBF, and changing 6-8 diapers in a 24 hour period, your supply is fine.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 12:52 PM on Sep. 27, 2010