letting your baby cry it out

How long has your baby cried it out?
At what point to you pick up the baby?
I have heard of babies crying for 2 to 3 hours before they fall asleep from exhaustion I was wondering if some find this acceptable

togo90210

Asked by togo90210 at 11:39 AM on Sep. 27, 2010 in General Parenting

• There is a difference between lettting a baby CIO and toddlers. As far as babies go, I can't imagine letting a baby scream for hours. My children did CIO as babies and toddlers at times, but never for hours
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 11:45 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• I have done Cry it out. I have never had one cry for more then 15 min. I have never done this before 15mo. I dont think hours crying is ever acceptable.
    martinmommy26

Answer by martinmommy26 at 11:42 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• 2 or 3 hours is too long, and it depends on the age of the baby. You are never suppose to let a newborn ( 0-6 months) cry for more than 15-20 min my pediatrion says that it can cause brain damage for newborns to cry more than that. I do let my 2 yr old cry it out for how ever long it takes.
    AWebber212

Answer by AWebber212 at 11:42 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• I never let my baby cry for long until she was a toddler. I think it's just cruel. Babies can not communicate except for crying. They are trying to let you know they need something. It's not until they're older that they use crying to manipulate you. LOL
    Missbehaves

Answer by Missbehaves at 11:45 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• I am opposed to it. I understand if baby has to cry a few mins while you do a couple of things. But hours is neglectful, imho
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 12:03 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Everything is situational. My son has cried up to 3 hours before -however he had colic and I was holding him and rocking him the whole time, he also never learned self soothing sleeping skills to the severity of his colic so yes, I did let him cry it out and he's cried over an hour to put himself to sleep before.. he was almost a year when he did that - but I also tried every other method up until this point being he was a year old - I still hate the thought of it and don't think it should be used all the time or for every situation -
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 11:42 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• We did crying it out, but it wasn't until my daughter was almost 12 months old. She never cried longer than 15-30 minutes before she fell asleep. I would never let her cry for over an hour though. I would keep going in there and comforting her, letting her know I was there and she was okay. I would never pick her up though and I rarely spoke. If I spoke, it would make the crying worse. Of course you make sure everything's taken care of, that the diaper's changed, she's fed and not hungry, not too hot, not too cold, etc.
    poptart0325

Answer by poptart0325 at 11:52 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• I think CIO is cruel but if you have to do it, not over 15 minutes say the experts
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:46 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• I will let mine cry for 15 min. then I go in and comfort them and lay them back down, and I do that until they sleep within a week, they sleep with no problem,,,it is the Ferber Method BTW
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 1:01 PM on Sep. 27, 2010