How can I let my 2-year-old girl sleep on her bed alone?

I have girl who is 2-year-old, very emotionally attached to me. She used to sleep in her bed but in our room, once we bought her new bed and kept that in her room she asked us to let her sleep in her new bed in her room but wanted me to sleep in there as well so since then I have been sleeping in her room which is about 2-month time. I tried to back to our room while she was asleep but she woke up crying and asked me back. I wonder when she will be able to sleep alone. My husband says what we doing is wrong for her. Shall I leave her alone to cry and back to sleep or go on with the same method until she understands and sleeps independently in her room.

NasMoj

Asked by NasMoj at 11:46 AM on Sep. 27, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Start with naps. She can cry herself to sleep for naps.

Once she gets good at sleeping during naps, work on bedtime.
    This is what I did.
    I got a book and a reading light for the book, then I pulled the rocking chair next to her bed. I would read quietly to myself until she started getting used to me not being in bed with her.
    Then I would move the chair a little closer to the door for several nights, then move it again. It took almost 2 weeks to get right next to the door.
    After that, I would tuck her in. She would cry for 5 minutes, I would check on her, then let her cry for 10 minutes, then check on her, then cry for 15 minutes.
    We never made it to the 15 minute mark but she would cry for 10 minutes for several nights, then it was over.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:55 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Just sit with her until she falls asleep in her bed. My DD won't sleep in her bed either though, but we have reason to believe that her room is evil. I don't care if anyone who reads this thinks I'm nuts or not, but everytime she sleeps in there she wakes up screaming bloody murder! And I've slept in there a few times and have woken up scared for some reason. Even my husband has. So we just don't force her to sleep in there. I think we need to burn some sage in that room or something.
    GinNTonic

Answer by GinNTonic at 11:55 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• At 2 yrs old they begin to comprehend fear and sometimes when nightmares begin. All you can do is make her new room as welcoming as possible.....add a night light, read books. Talk about it.. Let her fall asleep in there and let her know you will be back to check on her and come back and check on her so she knows you will return. It is going to take some work. Work on becoming a big girl and reward her with recognition. Play games like peek a boo during the day.
    Maybe .......you leave to go to the store at bedtime and have Daddy put her to bed. Guys seem to be less emotionally attached or allowed to be hooked in..esp if he feels what is happening is not right. But really at this point you may not have success until she is older.
    Momforhealth

Answer by Momforhealth at 11:58 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Hi, this is normal, my son went through that, I remembered falling asleep with him all the time and sneaking out after, which totally messed up my own sleep pattern. Finally after his 2nd bday, I told him one day, that I am directly outside his room, we have a split level house and I sat downstairs in the living room with all the lights on so that he can see the lights come through his semi close door and hear me type on the computer. Initially he kept calling me, and I kept answering him back from downstairs, however after a few days, he was ok. As a matter of fact, I remembered my husband was out of town for 2 weeks and when he came back, he was shocked that our son was trained. :) Good Luck!
    liszinj

Answer by liszinj at 12:11 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• keep putin her in there
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 1:19 AM on Oct. 1, 2010