What are good fruit toppings for yellow cake?

I'm baking DD's yellow birthday cake in the shape of a butterfly. I don't want to use sugary frostings but I still want it to be colorful so I plan on using cut fruit (no glaze and such) to decorate the top. Which fruits taste best with yellow cake and keep their color best? I have cherries, strawberries, canned oranges, and pineapple in mind. And what natural ingredient might be good to stick the fruit onto the cake? I was thinking mushed bananas but I'm not sure if that would compliment the other tastes and they might brown fast.

jus1jess

Asked by jus1jess at 11:57 AM on Sep. 27, 2010 in Food & Drink

• I would choose strawberries, or strawberries and bananas, but don't mush the bananas. I know there's a way to keep it from browning (I've eaten it before), but I don't know how.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 11:59 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Sorry, i['m a frosting ONLY kind of girl. Frosting is always Best lol. But strawberries and rasberries are really good as well
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 11:59 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Strawberries or blueberries!
    poptart0325

Answer by poptart0325 at 12:01 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• I think strawberries would probably be your best bet. Everyone usually like them so that would be my choice but since it for your daughter... maybe just do her favorite fruit on the cake.... you can always have fruit on the side too
    ajc88

Answer by ajc88 at 12:02 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Try yougrt for sticking the fruit on. Or fat free sugar free pudding, and I like fresh blueberries, and fresh sliced peachhes too.
    stepho345

Answer by stepho345 at 12:02 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• When i worked in a health food bakery....we even used kiwi and fan it out or even make a flower..kiwi is green so make a stem..and a fanned strawberry. I would not use banana cause it will brown. Your choices are great. Could you use a little whipped cream or even homemade jams.
    Momforhealth

Answer by Momforhealth at 12:03 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• I try to avoid dairy. I love the kiwi and jam ideas =) I want to use multiple fruits so the butterfly is very colorful. Raspberries would make a nice pink.
    jus1jess

Comment by jus1jess (original poster) at 12:05 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• I'd use strawberries and blueberries. For keeping the fruit stuck on there, maybe law-fat cream cheese? I use cream cheese in place of mayo or things like that on wraps and it tastes really good with vegetables, so I am sure it'd taste good with fruit.
    chairhead28

Answer by chairhead28 at 12:06 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Oh yes. raspberries would be yummy and nice..with strawberries, blueberries and whipped cream..Yummy sounds so good!!
    Momforhealth

Answer by Momforhealth at 12:08 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Strawberries are a great idea......You could do a berry topping and use all sorts of berries. (raspberry, blueberry, strawberry, blackberry) as for sticking them there, I would look into some kind of fruit pure' maybe?
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 12:12 PM on Sep. 27, 2010