My son is 15 months old and still hasn't said a word. He loves when we read to him, answers to his name. But I'm a little concerned. Am I being paranoid?

natc523

Asked by natc523 at 12:01 PM on Sep. 27, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• probably only if he doesn't make any efforts at all to even try and talk. if you haven't already, speak with his doctor about it.
    dragonlady320

Answer by dragonlady320 at 12:03 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• I wouldn't be paranoid, but my son's pediatric nurse was starting worry when my son had his 15 month well-check and wasn't saying alot. She told me to keep an eye on him. He eventually got early childhood intervention and has a speech therapist, but at at 15 months, I personally wasn't worried.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 12:03 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• I would not worry Momma - they all develop differently. Some babies never say a word and start speaking in complete sentences. My DD is 17 months and she uses about 15 words but she UNDERSTANDS most everything that I say. Talk to you Dr. if you are really concerned, but just remember they do things when they are good and ready :)
    chefronswife

Answer by chefronswife at 12:04 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Thank you. I hear it's more common for boys to speak later, too.
    natc523

Comment by natc523 (original poster) at 12:05 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• My friend's son is 26 months and still doesn't say much more than "mama." Kids develop at different paces. If you're really worried, don't hesitate to consult your doctor. Go with your gut, mama! :)
    arouthier

Answer by arouthier at 12:13 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Just keep reading to him and talking to him. I would bring my kids into every room and just talk about everything..everything I was doing..like cooking dinner or lunch..and name every object. boys do seem to take a little longer sometimes. :) keep in contact with your Dr. and ask lots of questions at his check ups.
    Momforhealth

Answer by Momforhealth at 12:21 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• I've heard that it usually takes boys longer to talk than girl, and if he doesn't really feel he need to talk to get his point across than it takes longer, does he point to things and you kind of understand what he wants? Some children are just like that, if they are satisfied with their abilty to comuncate with you they just don't try to put out an effort to find another way.
    Liz132

Answer by Liz132 at 12:23 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• I would be worried if he doesn't say anything at all. He says NOTHING!? No Mama or Dadda??
    If he is making an effort, even if it's not "right" then it counts.... so if he calls "Milk" "eh-eh" and it's always the same sound, then it counts as a word.
    I would start with simple sign language if you haven't already... and pay really close attention to words you might be missing.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 12:35 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• its normal for boys to start taling late my nephew is 2 years old and is just now trying to start saying stuff
    MarissaDavis29

Answer by MarissaDavis29 at 1:40 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• my daughter was more of a pointer and she understood more then she spoke at 15months. give it a little time. she is 18months and just about maybe a month ago starting saying a little more. she does understand more then she speaks. she has her own words for things though so they do say things their own way. good luck.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 8:37 PM on Sep. 27, 2010