Toddler allergies

I think my two year old has allergies. She's had a runny nose for quite some time. She had a cold about a month and a half ago. But all symptoms have gone away except the runny nose. What can I do or give her to make her feel better? We go in the bathroom every morning and turn the shower on hot so the steam clears her nose out. It just doesn't want to stop.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:05 PM on Sep. 27, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Is it clear mucous or green? If it has been green for a while, she may have a sinus infection that just won't kick. I would ask your dr about allergies, too, though. My friend's son had the same problem and ended up having a lot of food allergies like milk and wheat! Good luck to you. :)
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 12:07 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• If her snot is clear, it's allergies. If it's colored it usually means an infection of some sort. As nasty as snot can be, it's the bodies way of ridding her body of irritates. Your best bet would be to use a saline nasal spray as much as she will let you. Keeping those mucus membranes moist will help her body get rid of the irritants. There are also pediatric allergy meds that could help as well
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 12:11 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• I would talk to your peditrician. My daughter 16 months has severe seasonal allergies. She has seen an allergist but before she saw him our peditirican told us to give her children's zyrtec. She is now on prescription allegra but if his snot is clear its more than likely allergies.
    navyjen

Answer by navyjen at 2:22 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• My son is 2 and has been on Zrytec for allergies since he was 14 months old. I would take her to the doctor and ask for a referral to an Allergists. They can do allergy testing which will help you avoid the triggers.
    Leigh519121

Answer by Leigh519121 at 3:13 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• OP - Yeah it is clear mucus. Thank you everyone for your answers. I will be calling her pediatrician when they open.
    Samantha19

Answer by Samantha19 at 7:49 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• talk to peds bout it
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 1:17 AM on Oct. 1, 2010