I'm worry during maternity leave without income, and only live off one my hubby income is not enough

I'm not qualify for FMLA and I only get pay for up to 6 weeks only 70% of my paycheck. I'm planning on take 3 months, and I don't have enough vacation dates to cover that. I'm locate in NJ, is there anything out there that I can qualify to help with income during the unpaid months? We can live on one income and with the baby coming.

Amy2079

Asked by Amy2079 at 12:15 PM on Sep. 27, 2010 in Money & Work

• why are you taking off 3 months?
    BlacksheepSati

Answer by BlacksheepSati at 12:15 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• No. You don't qualify for anything else.. so either go back to work after the 6 weeks, or find ways to cut back to be able to stay out of work longer.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 12:18 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• b/c i can take personal leave of absence for up to 3 months, but it's without pay of cuz
    Amy2079

Comment by Amy2079 (original poster) at 12:19 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• if you want to be off then you guys will have to sacrifice the income. If you can not afford that then maybe you should go back sooner. We always sacrificed and I stayed home longer but we never got any help so it was all on us. Many people do have to go back right away.
    hill2

Answer by hill2 at 12:25 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• You are lucky to get paid that. I got nothing, but I was able to collect disability for 6 weeks. Only $175 per week. You could see if you qualify for that. Ask your company. If you can't afford it, don't take off so long. Go back after 8 weeks.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 12:26 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Im in NJ too and back when Ihad my ODD 5 yrs ago it was only 60% pay and the same...so I turned to working from home..ITs much to difficult in this state with our cost of living.
    If you'd like info about Working from home, and making great money PT...message me
    Happymom2-2

Answer by Happymom2-2 at 1:06 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• FMLA is an unpaid leave anyways, and FMLA just guarantees you a job to return to not pay while you are out. If you didn't sign up for another form of supplemental disability plan prior to conception it's more than likely you won't quailfy now unless there is some state funded disability plan in NJ I'm not familiar with (I'm only familiar with FL Leave laws). Most disability plans will only pay you for 6-8 weeks depending on the type of birth, but some pay up to 100% of pay for that time period but you have to sign up 10 months prior to the birth of the child. My suggestion with be start saving now, and if you have to go back to work after 6 weeks. It sucks but I know people who have had to go back after 2 weeks for that very reason.
    mommyslate

Answer by mommyslate at 3:16 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Have you ever thought about working from home? I work from home and I love it! I am a stay at home Mommy to my 3 year old son, and 19 month old daughter. I work with a great team of Moms; we help each other create income from home. No parties, No inventory! Weekly pay! Free website, training, and unlimited support!!
    I would love to give you more information and help you reach your financial goals!

Erika
    Proud Member of Internet CEO Moms!
    Helping MOMS Work from Home since 1999!
    Visit my website:
    www.OurCEOMom.com
    mommy2joeynabby

Answer by mommy2joeynabby at 5:29 PM on Sep. 27, 2010