Do I correct my sitter?

My sitter's 2 year old son cannot pronounce my son's name correctly. I give him a break because he's only 2. However, I have heard her 10 year old, her husband and even she call my son by this babyish name. My husband and I do not believe in reinforcing baby talk and I hate that I hear them talking to my son this way. Should I tell her I hate it or should I wait and see if it changes as her son becomes better at speaking?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:26 PM on Sep. 27, 2010 in General Parenting

• Oh that makes me cringe too. I would tell her you do not like babytalk and explain your reasons behind it. I always did. It is their problem if they do not like it. But at least you wont have to correct your child's speech later.
    Momforhealth

Answer by Momforhealth at 12:38 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Yes, I would...but in a nice, friendly way.
    LLacy85

Answer by LLacy85 at 12:28 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• If it's a cute nickname, I would let it go. My son's name is Riley and we all used to call him Ri Ri. If they are calling him a nickname, it's because they love him. Let them.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 12:32 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Honestly, I'd talk with the sitter and have her correct how she & her family pronounce your son's name. Their son will never learn it correctly if they continue mimicking his baby-talk. When it comes to the little ones and how they pronounce things, it's cute and all. And, they eventually get it right when adults continue to say things correctly. But, adults baby-talking - that's GOTTA go!
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 12:31 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• I do not think I would be too upset about it - my baby's name is McKenna and our two year old next door neighbor calls her "Miss Kenna" and now her parents call her that too...no big deal, she knows her name.
    If it bothers you then yes, say something.
    chefronswife

Answer by chefronswife at 12:34 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• She is a good sitter? Is this your only complaint with her? How much time does she and her family spend with your son? How old is he? Does he know his own name? If he spends a great deal of time with her and doesn't know his name yet Imight would say something. Otherwise I would leave it alone.
    treynlisa

Answer by treynlisa at 12:40 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• id tell her you dont like baby talk around your kid.besides at 2yrs old they dont need to hear baby talk theyll end up talking like that too my little girl doesnt talk like shes suppose to and she will be 2 soon but i talk normal to hear so she will to
    photogrypher

Answer by photogrypher at 12:28 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• What is your sons name and what do they call him? Is it a completely different name or like a nickname kind of?

Like my sons name is Zyshan(pronounce like the zzzz in buzz...and shan..You dont pronounce the y) and his nick name is Zeshu..Like. Z-Shoe...Lol...
    tiger_tatted1

Answer by tiger_tatted1 at 12:29 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• I would ask that she call him by his correct name. repeating it as her son says it only reinforces the thought that mispronunciation is ok.

Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 12:30 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• I think you should tell her you don't like it. It's your kid and she's your sitter, so if you don't like the "baby talk" she's using, she needs to know.
    poptart0325

Answer by poptart0325 at 12:31 PM on Sep. 27, 2010