I was thinking about making jewelry on the side. Anyone have ideas on what it takes to get started and is there a decent demand, say like at yard sales or craft sales?

Is it expensive to get started? It was a passing thought that has not left yet. Just exploring ways to make a little extra cash.

svdbygrace

Asked by svdbygrace at 12:37 PM on Sep. 27, 2010 in Hobbies & Crafts

• If you have something unique, then maybe. I have been to two crafts shows in the last month, and in both of them, I'd say at least a fourth of the displays were of jewelry. So you'd have to have something that would catch people's eyes.

Answer by Bmat at 12:41 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• I make jewelry...My best sales are through word of mouth. My friends take my stuff to worjk with them - they work in offices with lots of women - and I usually make at least 100.00. You will not make money at yard sales.
    there are LOTS of good websites that will give you ideas about marketing, niche markets etc.
    Just google "How to sell my handmade jewelry"
    You also need to decide what you are going to make - beaded, wire, soldered and research what it takes to get into that.
    If you want more info - just message me!
    Good luck - it is fun, I wish I had more time to do it!
    chefronswife

Answer by chefronswife at 12:42 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• well lets see...yard sales and garage sales are a good idea to get started to see if anyone buys it but i know when things are homemade at garage sales...people kind of pass by the item cause thats not what they are there for. i once set up a booth for a craft sale, not a big town one but it was in a small gym and i dont even know how i got involved in it but i tryed selling wooden these wooden mini room dividers you just buy for a room decoratation. Didnt sell one and sat there all day. it was only a small fee to get involved in that but if people are interested in your stuff then its worth it
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 12:46 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• I made jewelry for a long time. Depending on what you are going to make, you're gonna need wire, invisible thread, findings, a set of tools (tiny pliers and such as), a way to keep it all organized, beads or whatever. I made earrings out of money. I had a lot of foreign coins from the year I spent traveling Europe, and I would use the smaller coins for earrings and larger coins into necklaces. I did bead weaving and I made a really awesome chain mail style necklace out of jump rings that I sold for 65 bucks.
    etsy is a good way to sell your stuff, if you are willing to ship. Also try art fairs, rather than craft fairs. I had some of my best sales at a local art fair here...I sold one piece in an auction for 175. You just have to find your audience, but that takes a lot of trial and error.
    Jenny-talia

Answer by Jenny-talia at 12:49 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Wow!! Lots of good ideas. Never done this before so just getting some info first. I've got a lot on my plate right now, but may be a project for the near future. Thank you for all your thoughts and input. It helps a lot!!
    svdbygrace

Comment by svdbygrace (original poster) at 1:05 PM on Sep. 27, 2010