what are everyones thoughts/views on polygamy?

I don't know why, but it is very fascinating to me. Although it is nothing I could ever be a part of, everytime I see something on TV about it, I have to watch it.

alexis_06

Asked by alexis_06 at 12:37 PM on Sep. 27, 2010 in Religious Debate

• I don't think it's fair that a man could marry a bunch of women, but if it was a woman marrying a bunch of men...it would be TOTALLY different!
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 6:08 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Between consenting adults where ALL parties involved agree, I couldn't care less. I wouldn't want to be in one, and I would hate to be the divorce attorney but aside form that, None of my business.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 12:43 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• I think it should be legal, but it's not a lifestyle I would personally enjoy.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 12:41 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• As long as all those involved are all of legal age (18+) and are consenting.. Then let them live as they choose.

I see no reason it should be illegal, again if all are of age and consenting. The only issues that I would see with legalities would be this. Only 1 spouse could be legally recognized by the government in terms : being deemed the "spouse" for taxes (the others could be deemed dependents) and in regards to receiving benefits such as Social Security or Public Assistance. But that's it. They could still marry 2 or 3 (or whatever) but only one could be recognized in terms governmental benefits

Those are the only things I can think of that would need to be legislated.

It is not a relationship/lifestyle that I personally would choose. HOwever, I see nothing wrong with it for those who do choose it.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 1:03 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• It is interesting. If they are into that and can live harmoniously, then great for them.

I could not do it. I could not share my mate.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 12:39 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• If it works for all people involved i dont see why not
    BlacksheepSati

Answer by BlacksheepSati at 12:47 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• I think it's a wonderful way of life. I wish we could have that type of marriage. I'm glad to see plural marriage being opened up more in the past few years and I hope more people are willing to see the truth behind what happens in these marriages rather than buying in to the negative stereotypes. Plural Marriage allows for any number of different lifestyles - multiple wives OR husband, or both... And is NOT generally something that people get in to if they don't want to. These are families, not harems, not dictatorships... They are groups which live together as a family unit... And in many ways they are a stronger family unit than the single families we see day to day. I joined a group to legalize plural marriage about 5 years ago, and I'm finally seeing some movement in the right direction...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:58 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• I would love a wife.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 2:36 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• I can barely get it right for one other person let alone more than one. kudos if they can make it work.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 12:42 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• I think it's interesting but kind of strange in some cases. But it kind of makes you realize how we as human beings can't be monogomous. It's not really in our nature. No matter how much someone is convinced they're happy with the one they married one of them is going to eventually stray. I mean we are mammals after all. Can you name a species of mammals that have only one mate? I can't.
    GinNTonic

Answer by GinNTonic at 12:42 PM on Sep. 27, 2010