disciplining a almost 1 year old ....

My son is almost 1 year old and is laughing at me when I try to tell him NO - there's no smile or smirk on my face and my husband is against swatting the hand or flicking the mouth when he bites me ( oh yes, he does that too ) but we are going on a straight month of NO NO's not working - anyone have any other idea's?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:25 PM on Oct. 21, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• sorry, I didn't have any luck until popping hands...
    Anonymous

• we started time out as soon as the hitting and biting started. If you have a pack 'n play put that up somewhere out of the way but where he can still see you when hes in time out. Just ignore him until you decide he can come out then hug and kiss him so he knows you still love him. wors well for us. Good luck
    Nora1

Answer by Nora1 at 9:36 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• Swat his butt... You have to gain control now.
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 9:47 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• Tell him "no" once, then ignore his laughing and go on with whatever you were doing. He'll figure out it's not funny anymore when you don't get upset and argue with him. Also remember that this is his way of being his own person and trying to have some control in his life (just try not to let it get out of hand.
    gwood

Answer by gwood at 10:34 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• personally at this age I feel that hitting or swatting or what have you only teaches them to hit also. because they dont understand exactly what they are being hit for. Thats why you telling him NO NO may seem like a game to him. before the swatting you have to make him understand what no means. for instance, when he bites you you can say something like no no thats mean, or pretend to cry that way he'll understand that he has done something wrong but still wont quite figure it out. Then if he does it again then put him in time out and be repetitive in telling him why he's being punished because he wont understand if you say it once and put him in time out. You have to gradually work spanking into a disciplinary action because the only thing swatting him is going to do is teach him to swat back and make him cry. Its not going to teach him that something is wrong just yet.
    quinesha_87

Answer by quinesha_87 at 11:43 PM on Oct. 21, 2008