How do you make genuine connections with other women?...making friends as an adult?!?!

I am a 31 year old woman (and single mom) who has just relocated and I am finding it difficult to meet people, I am not interested in dating right now or being someone's instant bestfriend, but just looking to meet other adults,conversate, go out for coffee, start a play group with the kids, get to know people (single, married, w or w/o children), alot of women I meet seem so standoffish, is making friends after college, grad school, kids just impossible??

2boyz2pray4

Asked by 2boyz2pray4 at 9:26 PM on Oct. 21, 2008 in Relationships

• It is very difficult...I agree with you. I am a SAHM, and after having my daughter I found it very hard to meet people. I joined a playgroup through Meetup.com, and it totally changed my life. I met other moms and my daughter got to be around other kids. It has really added a lot to my life. If you go to the Meetup website you can do a search for groups near you. There are also groups for all types of interests. I'm going to be moving again soon due to my husband's promotion, and I'll definitely join a Meetup group in my new city!

Don't think it's just you, though! I know LOTS of people that have had the same feelings. Good luck, and I hope you make some connections soon! :)
    StarLee

Answer by StarLee at 9:35 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• Yes, unfortunately it is. Women can be very caddy! I was friends with a woman and the instant I got divorced she ended our friendship because "I was a threat to her husband"... I decided after that I didn't need any women friends. I have two daugthers, two granddaugters.. that is all I need.
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 9:47 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• Thanks...I was beginning to think it was just me!!! I'll look into meetup.com!!!
    2boyz2pray4

Answer by 2boyz2pray4 at 10:03 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• Been there too. Just be yourself , you'll find friends.
    Good Luck
    Anonymous

• I had this same problem, been living here for nearly 12 yrs and just recently in the last 2 yrs made some friends. I had people I knew but never really did anything with.
    I used a website called meetup, and found people with similar interests (mine scrapbooking). Saw a lady from Canada who liked to scrapbook and moved here recently and emailed her, we met for coffee and have been friends for 4 months now.
    I think the key is to find a group whether a moms group or a group with common interests as you.
    janie-o

Answer by janie-o at 11:57 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• Try cafemom!! Do a zipcode search of moms in your area, or join a local group. I have meet the only friends I have in this state through Cafemom! Good luck
    Kagenj07

Answer by Kagenj07 at 3:50 AM on Oct. 22, 2008

• Oh my god I go to school and in my classroom i used to talk to a group of five girls now they don't even talk to me it's not like there all that they dress bad I have three kids am skninny cool always giving person well help you out alot always I have had a best friend for six years i was eighteen and another one for four years.it's very hard woman are just more jealous of other woman sometimes threatened.I felt bad and even said to myself what's wrong with me but it's not me it's them
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:38 AM on Oct. 22, 2008