What can they do by 4? Homeschool moms...any help here?

A B C (all) and 1-2-3 up to ? Addition, subtraction? What else?
She is 3.5 and I need to get her on a learning schedule.
I am working with SS (11) and I need to work with her too.

Jademom07

Asked by Jademom07 at 12:54 PM on Sep. 27, 2010 in

• They are all different. My daughter read at 4. My son wrote some letters and his name.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 12:55 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• gefore addition and subtraction they need to develop pre-math skills. a great tool for this is a variety of beads in multiple colors and shapes, eg. reds in varying shapes, same for blue, green, yellow.
    they can sort them by differing critera: by shape or by color, a muffing tin is good for that. then they can string them to learn about patterns.
    another pre-math thing are words for size and quantity: tall, short, bigger, smallest, long, short, etc., and words for location: above, below, beside, inside,etc.

but you don't "need to get her on a learning schedule", IMO. at this age they can and should learn through play: candy land and hiho cherry o are great for teaching quantity and one to one correspondence, and you can have treasure hunts through the house for things of a certain color or shape.

as for the alphabet, can she identify all the letters and their sounds? you could have a letter of the day, CONT.
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 6:23 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• you could make a meal of things with just that letter, write in in sidewalk chalk, make up stories featuring words starting with that letter, form it with pennies or other small things (we made letters out of my son's train tracks, it was good for him to analyze which words had curves and straight parts)

keep it fun and playful, not worksheet drudgery. there's no advantage for a precocious but burned out kid.
    feel free to PM me if you have any questions.
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 6:26 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• oh, sprout has great games on their website for teaching early skills. kids love them because they are silly and have the show's characters in them.
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 6:31 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• A 4 yr old should recognize basic shapes, colors, alphabet, count to 20. They do NOT need to be able to add or subtract or read. They should be able to draw SIMPLE shapes and lines (wavy, straight, etc). They need to know all the basic before they can move on. After they have the basics, then move on to writing letters (upper and lowercase), numbers, their name. Teach the sounds each letter makes. Then teach them how to put those sounds and letters together to form words. NO 4-5 year old should be pushed to read, add or subtract. If they do, that is great. If they don't not a big deal. The BEST thing you can do for your child is to READ to her daily..atleast 20-30 minutes a day. Point out the words as you read the stories.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:30 PM on Sep. 27, 2010