Does your 3 yr old talk back to you?

My son will be three in two months. He has episodes where he can be quite defiant. How do other moms deal w/ their little one talking back? There are times when he does it a lot like the last week and other times he doesn't do it. What gives? Thanks!

PatricksMama07

Asked by PatricksMama07 at 1:06 PM on Sep. 27, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• No, my 2year old does!!! lol
    mcme

Answer by mcme at 1:09 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• It is my opinion that 3-year olds should not be allowed to talk back to their parents and should be immediately disciplined every time it happens. We spanked our children for all acts of disrespect of authority. If I had it to do over, I would bring them up that same way because I am very pleased at out they have all turned out.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 1:11 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• OH MY!! Does my son ever not talk back to me!!!! I am at my wits ends with his talking back. He turned 3 last week and it's getting worse. I have taken toys away, time out, you name it. Nothing is working!!! Grrrrrrr

Best of luck in this department!!!! :-S

~Alyssa
    Helping Moms Work From Home
    www.4theLoveofMyFamily.com
    alyssamal

Answer by alyssamal at 1:11 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Toddlers, like everyone else, behave worse when they are hungry, tired, or under stress.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:13 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• my daughter was a holy terror when she turned 3. i almost thought something was wrong with her emotionally, she didn't have her way and this terrible rage came out! she's turning 4 in a couple of weeks and it has gotten so much better! it must be that age, where they are gaining independence. they have to learn who's boss in the house, because they think they are. i would put her in her room and calmly explain that you do not yell at mommy and i will come talk to you when you are finished screaming, and make her stay in her room. if she came out on her own and was still screaming she'd go right back in there. then when she was calm i'd explain why she needed to do this or that.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 1:17 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• How would you feel if your husband (larger and more powerful) took your favorite toys away, forced you to sit in a corner when you didn't want to, hit you, and used other punishments. He may even try to tell you he loves you while he is doing this to you. If you do "behave" better it will be out of fear. What is more likely to happen is that you can't be perfect so you will sneak, lie, behave worse, and resent your husband. Well that's what kids do when they are punished too. That's part of the reason why punishment based authoritarian parenting doesn't work. If all you have tired is punishment then you haven't tried everything.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:18 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• IT IS A PHASE!! I KNOW EASY TO SAY! PUT HIM TO BED EARLY,NO T.V. THE CHILD IS TESTING U! IT IS A POWER STRUGGLE THING! HE WANTS TO SEE HOW MUCH HE CAN GET AWAY WITH. TRY THIS,AS SOON AS HE STARTS,NO MATTER WHERE U R, IF SHOPPING LEAVE THE CART AND EXIT THE STORE! IF U NEED TO WAIT TILL HUBBY GETS HOME AND SAY HE IS ALL YOURS,I NEED TO DO THE GROCERY SHOPPING. IT DOES WORK,HANG IN THERE!!! MESSAGE ME AND LET ME KNOW HOW IT WORKS.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 1:26 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• my four year old does! she has quite an attitude sometimes but the talking back usually seems worse when she is tired or hungry. I know she is just trying to test her limits but I hope to God that she doesn't talk to her preschool teachers the way she talks to me sometimes!
    Bee.Girl4177

Answer by Bee.Girl4177 at 3:43 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• My 2 year old talks back, and yes it is usually during a time when he is hungry, tired, bored ect. But we have found that putting him in timeout, or even his toys in timeout helps him to make better choices.
    sweetpea8973

Answer by sweetpea8973 at 4:18 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Mine does and I think they are testing their limits. He doesn't do it at school so I know he is testing me! If he refuses to pick up his toys, I will lead him to his toys and won't let him leave until he does it. If he refuses, he gets a timeout. After that, he will do as he is told.
    nmmama09

Answer by nmmama09 at 4:43 PM on Sep. 27, 2010