How many pea plants should I plant for my family of 7?

I'm really getting going on my garden and am debating how much I need to plant.

mlregalado

Asked by mlregalado at 1:13 PM on Sep. 27, 2010 in Home & Garden

• It takes a lot of peas to feed a family. We used to raise them but quit. In our part of the country, it was hard to get them in in time to harvest them before the weather got hot. It is the one item I can buy frozen that is just as good as much less trouble and work, so we gae it up a few years ago.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 1:17 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Do you mean English Peas/Sweet Peas? If your family loves them, you can never plant enough. I would plant at least 50 or more. Snow peas can be grown with them at the same time and are also wonderful. GL
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 1:18 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• I'd say at least 4 long rows worth. I wouldn't plant plants, I'd plant pea seed. Since peas are an early crop, you can use the same garden area later on for other vegetables.

Answer by Bmat at 1:19 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• NannyB, where do you live?

I planted some sugar peas but the sun burned them. I'm going to try again in a couple of weeks, it's supposed to be 103 today.
    mlregalado

Comment by mlregalado (original poster) at 1:21 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Sorry, I really messed up my typing in previous answer. The newest grandbaby was screaming and I tried to hurry. Hope you got it deciphered.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 1:26 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• We live in South Central Kentucky. Peas here have to be planted in February to be harvested in June. It's usually really wet here then and hard to get the ground dry enough to plant that early. Like I say, we gave up!!
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 1:28 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• dang, my peas just froze last night and we lost 75% of our crop. :(
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 1:44 PM on Sep. 27, 2010