What is a good education?

CarolineDezon

Asked by CarolineDezon at 1:21 PM on Sep. 27, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• First, paying attention in high school and not just getting by with average grades.
    THEN, going on to college and actually LEARNING and getting a 4 year degree in something that you know you want to do as a career, not just to earn a paycheck.
    MAybe a Masters' degree too.
    THEN, travel...get out of your comfort zone and get to know people who are different than you are.
    THOSE are the things you need to do to be well educated.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 1:32 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Being taught to think for yourself and knowing how to look for the information you seek, rather than being taught to a test. It does not matter whether you turn out to be a simple ditch digger or president of the country. If you cannot speak properly and spell properly, and think for yourself then even if you received an Ivy League education it's worthless. The most educated person on earth may not be the one who attended many schools at all much less a prestigious one.
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 1:39 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• A good education is subjective to the student and the adults who are involved in mentoring that child. My standards and expectations may vary from someone coming from a background where professional aspirations are not placed high on the priority list.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 2:03 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• A good education to me is when you can use your education to get the best paying job with benefits of course, and be able to survive in this country. I tell my 15 year old son all the time to go as high as he can when it comes to an education because the world is getting tougher and tougher. I'll have my bachelors degree next year where I'll become a full certified guidance counselor with any elementary school of my choice. A good education will get you very far in this country.
    ambr2006

Answer by ambr2006 at 1:26 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• You know, I get kind of sick of hearing the derogatory comments about being a burger flipper.

While education is important, not everyone is cut out for school. If you can get a job, and get paid, and do well at it, and provide for your family, you are still providing a service, and an unappreciated one at that. I know restaurants that pay their "burger flippers" thirteen dollars an hour. That's good money. And it's a service people use. Nothing wrong there.

It used to be accepted that not everyone went to college. In fact, it wasn't a big deal. Don't get me wrong, education is important, but if you aren't cut from that cloth, work hard and make yourself happy, and find a job that fits you.

Rant over.

OP- any education you apply yourself as best you can to is a good education.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 1:58 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

MAybe a Masters' degree too.

***
    OMG!!! I actually agree with you! Will wonders never cease?! LOL :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 5:59 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• It is more than learning to read, write, and do math. It is being made an independent learner who can take information, process it, question it, research it, and form an opinion about it. It is learning that mistakes are opportunities for further learning and they should be welcomed and cherished as good friends. It is being more than the regurgitater of information. It is being taught the skills to be able to use those skills in a way that is productive.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 6:30 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• What age?

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:22 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• 1-18 :)
    CarolineDezon

Comment by CarolineDezon (original poster) at 1:24 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• I would think it depends on what you plan on doing with that education. If you hope to be a burger flipper, a simple basic education on how to read and write isn't even needed... But if you want to go out and make something of yourself then you need to have a more rounded and broader education included Literature, History, Science, Culture and more...

I think I was very lucky, our schools here are wonderful, They are very picky about their teachers and encourage parents to be involved...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:31 PM on Sep. 27, 2010