Up and down stairs?

Do you think going up 100 steps and 100 going down so a total of 200 a day is a good way to help stay in shape? I can't run up and down due to a bad ankle but I'm trying to find stay at home ways to stay in shape. My complex is a mile around so I'm doing that 3 times a day and then we have lots of stairs so I figured I'll try that but don't know how many I should go up and down. That's not counting how many times I usually go up and down through out the day just going to my car and back. So what I meaning is I would do a set of 200 at a time 3 times a day so 600?

mommy_of_two388

Asked by mommy_of_two388 at 1:24 PM on Sep. 27, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• Yes - "doing the stairs" is a great way to stay in shape! My DH is a Fire/Medic and he and the guys at the station go to a nearby high-rise building to exercise. They put on their bunker gear to add some weight and go up and down 18 flights of stairs as many times as they can. Everything you're doing sounds right! Good Luck!
    5BabyBees

Answer by 5BabyBees at 2:18 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• heck yeah, continue on, its a great idea.
    ambr2006

Answer by ambr2006 at 1:28 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• It definitely helps. From what I remember reading it burns about 10 calories per floor going up and about 7 per floor going down.
    coder_chick

Answer by coder_chick at 1:31 PM on Sep. 27, 2010