What should we do for my son's 9th birthday?

My son will be turning 9 soon and I have no idea what to do for his birthday. He doesn't want to have a party but I told him he could have a few friends to spend the night if he wanted. Still, we want to do something for his birthday or at least get him a really good and thoughtful gift. My son is only into video games and sports. Everyone in the family buys him video games every year and my mom always buys him clothes since it's close to school starting again. He wants Rock Band-a video game-but I would love to come up with somethihg creative that he would love. Any suggestions on a gift or a place we could take him?

April_418

Asked by April_418 at 10:22 AM on Jul. 2, 2008 in Tweens (9-12)

• How about a family camping weekend and the friends get to stay with him for one night at the camp site. You could pick a place close to home..in case of rain or bad weather. It can be a really fun family vacation/birthday party...something everyone will remember.
    MommasCooCoo

Answer by MommasCooCoo at 10:39 AM on Jul. 2, 2008

• Is there an arcade he likes to play at? My mom had my birthday at an arcade with some of my friends once. We loved it.
    sunshinepraying

Answer by sunshinepraying at 10:48 AM on Jul. 2, 2008

• There's a couple of suggestions: If he's into sports, why not try bowling? I have 3: 2 boys (11 & 5) and a girl (9) and they love bowling. Sometimes you can find a lucky deal. For instance, the bowling alley we go to offers midnight bowling (unlimited) every Saturday from 10p-2a at $15 per person. Allso, in terms of what kind of gift to get, there is a game for ps2 called guitar heroes. The kids enjoy that game too. It's a challenging game and it's fun.
    nettie04

Answer by nettie04 at 1:02 PM on Jul. 2, 2008

• Maybe a baseball game? We have a local professional baseball team in the Frontier League. The games are reasonably priced and such a blast! My boys enjoy it more than MLB games.
    Another suggestion.... we had a bonfire last year for my sons 9th birthday. Complete with hotdogs and s'mores! He had a few friends over and they all had a blast!
    drowninginboys

Answer by drowninginboys at 9:49 PM on Jul. 2, 2008

• Rock band is 100$ for PS2 now - which is expensive in my book - but it is only really fun when you have friends to have a "band" with, it's kinda boring when you're by yourself. Maybe get some guitar-artsy invites and have a "ROCKSTAR" party, invite three of his best buds to come spend the night and play Rockband all night. set the TV up in a room far from yours, give the kids a cooler full of juice drinks and bad food ()hey it's only one day mom) and let em' rock out all night. Warn the parents their children will return in the morning eager to sleep, LOL - just like "real " rockstars!
    My only other suggestion? A puppy. every boy needs a dog, and every dog needs a boy. it would get him out more than a video game and while yes mom technically it'll be YOUR responbsibility, if he makes best friends with the pup it'll be a lifelong friendship. and dogs are considered a "big" gift, even the ten dollar pound puppy variety.
    thegoddessofwit

Answer by thegoddessofwit at 3:33 PM on Jul. 4, 2008

• have a bowling party! Invite a few friends and make it the party. we did this a few times and it is really fun for everyone.
    momof2boys707

Answer by momof2boys707 at 9:02 PM on Jul. 19, 2008