Preschool Vent, agree or disagree?

Am I the only person who feels this way? I come from an upper middle class family and when I grew up no one went to preschool. Today Mothers are starting "Pre-school" at 2 years old and they go until they are 4 or 5. They learn how to write letters and their name. Am I wrong but isn't this what kindergarten, 1st grade etc. is for?? Are we just making it easier for regular School teachers? Are we expecting our children to be brilliant beyong their years (which they usually don't end up being)? My Son just started Preschool & he'll be 4 in OCT and he is at a disadvantage because he did not start at 2 years old?? They don't want to teach him how to adapt to a structured enviornment because the other kids have been going since they are 2 and already know the drill. What am I missing here? So if you choose not to send your child to Preschool, what will the real school teachers do?? God forbid! Cont:

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:43 PM on Sep. 27, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My personal feeling on it is this...my daughter will not go to preschool. I feel they spend enough time in school LET THEM BE KIDS!!!!! I get they get to play and what not in preschool but do they really need to go through all that structure that young? My daughter is 2 and can identify almost any animal, shape, color, number, letter etc... she knows her ABC's she know what letters stand for, she knows my real name, her dads real name, her full name, is potty trained, sleeps in a full size bed, eats at the dinner table with us, can just about fully dress herself, she doesn't want baths she wants showers and she wants to wash herself (she does after we do). but i feel that is pretty advanced for just me working with her! I don't think she needs someone else teaching her that young. And yes you are right about the teaching in regular school, however i live in PA right outside of Gettysburg...CONT
    babymaddy

Answer by babymaddy at 1:52 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Cont: Will they not want to spend time with a child that has no prior school experience? As I said, I never went to Preshcool and believe it or not, I graduated College with a degree and got a Professional job just fine. What the heck is going on today?? I know the argument, well, some mothers have to work and have to leave the children in daycare, which I understand. But, I have to tell you that where my Son is going none of the Mothers work and still have left their children there since they were almost 2 years old. Why? Because Mom's these days don't want to have to deal with the child all day?? I don't get it, then why have a child at all? I think this is a ridiculous generation.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:44 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• I see nothing wrong with 2-3 yr old going to preschool. It's only 2-3 days a week and it's getting them set for school. In kindergarten we had to know our numbers and ABCs before we got in and I came from a lower class family.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 1:45 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• now, the standard is that the child needs to know the alphabet, count to 20, and be able o write their name, in order to go to kindergarten. i think that's dumb because i actually learned that stuff IN kindergarten. my daughter knows how to write her name, but thats it. she'll be 5 in december,, so she'll be starting k next year.
    gracefulsky

Answer by gracefulsky at 1:46 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• My daughters started pre-school when they were 3.. and they go for an extra year. It makes them smarter, I think, and prepares them for Kindergarten better!
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 1:46 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• My children never went to Preschool. We had a Stay At Home Parent and besides that, could not afford to pay for preschool.
    I cannot say if any one way is best. I do know that in europe, they start school at a very early age, like our preschools here. It seems to work for them.
    Kids do well in school at a young age, if you can and you want to, then by all means send them.
    However, Don't most parents teach their kids shapes, counting, abc's and colors, etc even with out school?
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 1:48 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Preschool gives kids a leg-up when it comes to starting Kindergarten; socialization, adjusting to a regimented schedule, etc. In our district, kids must know their phone number, address, colors, and be able to write their name before they start Kindergarten. Studies show that kids in preschool fare better than kids that did not attend - they understand what is expected of them in that environment.

It is offensive that you say mother's don't want to be with their kids all day? I'm a SAHM, I will be sending my son to preschool when he's 3.5 because it's GOOD for him, and I want him to have every advantage. BTW, I am also very well educated, and we have a really nice lifestyle; the moms in my circle send their kids to preschool for the same reasons I will.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 1:50 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• My dd is 4 will be 5 in December and just started headstart last month, I don't believe a child needs to be in preschool or headstart there basically the same thing before they turn 2, my son will be 3 in December and they told me that he can go ahead and start headstart but he will only be in there for 3 and a half hrs, Mon - Thursday just like DD is right now. I think it does in the long run make it easier for teachers but in my case it has helped dd alot, she listens better and is learning how to write although alot of the writing we also do at home but she enjoys it & when I do finally get a job at least I know she is in a decent school, I am a single mom and u have 2 be put on a waiting list for headstart here it took a couple months to get her in & after ds turns 3 I am going to put his app in. Our school is good at helping the child to adapt to a new environment also, but I do not believe it will hurt a child
    mama2005

Answer by mama2005 at 1:51 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• if they dont go to preschool/headstart.....maybe u just need to find another school that will help him to adapt if u want him to go to school.
    mama2005

Answer by mama2005 at 1:52 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• OP - Agreed.
    buzymamaof3

Answer by buzymamaof3 at 1:52 PM on Sep. 27, 2010