HELP ME GET MY MOMMY RIGHTS BACK

without physical force or negativity how can i teach my 3 year old not to talk back to me in a harsh attitude?....she goes as far as to tell me to "knock it off" or "stop it"
I'm getting a bit annoied(and a bit embarassed) with it, does anyone have any suggestions?

julie120

Asked by julie120 at 9:40 PM on Oct. 21, 2008 in General Parenting

• are those phrases you use with her? is she repeating the way you (or maybe her father) talks to her?
    Anonymous

• She is learning this by example- it is amazing the terms they pick up. When she says something you find disrespectful, firmly tell her (yet as calm as possible) that she can't talk to Mommy (or whoever she said something to) like that and then I would put her in time out for 3 minutes- even if you have to hold her there. I know this age is hard but try to remember she is just discovering she has some control in her enviroment so this is certainly a behavior that you need to nip right away to show her she does have some control but not all of it.
    candygirl1030

Answer by candygirl1030 at 9:43 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• I think taking away privileges is the best form of discipline because it reflects real-life consequences and gets kids prepared to be responsible adults - which is what raising them is all about. Tell her every time she talks to you in a disrespectful way, you will take one toy out of her room and put in in a bag (never give it back to her, no matter what). When the bag is full, take her with you and give the bag to your local goodwill store or food bank. Or, take away her TV/computer/video game (all screens) time away until she is respectful for an entire day. You have to have a specific talk beforehand about what is disrespectful, so she is clear on what's not okay. You can't be vague about it and make the rules up as you go along, that isn't fair to her especially at such a young age. Works for me.
    indexmom

Answer by indexmom at 12:34 AM on Oct. 22, 2008

• I "can't hear" my children when they are rude... children hate to be ignored- attention is what they are after, so don't give it to them...
    mtnmama111

Answer by mtnmama111 at 12:51 AM on Oct. 22, 2008

• If she heard those somewhere, she is surely going to use those terms, and its really not her fault. You shouldn't punish her for something that she hears alot. If she hears it from you, then you have to be the one to teach her the correct way. If she hears it elsewhere, then she needs to know that its not acceptable. You can't punish a child for something that they are learning in life. 3 year olds are at a learning stage, so she picks up on everything.
    Kat122

Answer by Kat122 at 6:04 PM on Oct. 22, 2008