How do i get my jehovah witness mother 2 shut up n keep 2 herself?

So, my moms a witness! And she cant keep her mouth shut!!! She keeps telling my 7yr old things that she does NOT need to know. I, myself do not have a religion, but i have beliefs. I do NOT preach to my child. But if she asks a question: i will do my best 2 answer it in 7yr old terms. My mom tells her things NO 7yr old needs to know. And it is making my daughter have nitemares!
Ive tried 2 talk 2 mom about it. And she lies n says she doest say anything. How do i get her to stop????

SylivasMommie

Asked by SylivasMommie at 1:59 PM on Sep. 27, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Well you have obviously tried to talk to her about it.. I would personally keep my child away from her, mother or not.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 1:59 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Tell your mother is she doesn't keep her mouth shut and leave the teaching of the relation up to you then she won't see her grandchild anymore.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 2:00 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• *religion
    mommy_of_two388

• If it were my mom I would tell her that I don't share her beliefs and I didn't want her talking about religion with my child, and that she needs to respect that. If she continued I wouldn't let her be around my kid unsupervised.

I get pissed when my parents don't respect my choices as a parent, religion included.
    Namaste17

Answer by Namaste17 at 2:02 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• healthy boundaries need to be set. I think you need to sit down with her without anyone else present and explain that you are your child's mother. and you are requesting she no longer discusses ANY religious topic with your child. and that if she cannot respect that, she will not be allowed contact till she WIL respect it.
    BlacksheepSati

Answer by BlacksheepSati at 2:04 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Just shut the door on her when you realize it's her at the door.

Sorry, couldn't resist a little door-to-door soliciting humor. :)

Anyway, I don't know. I guess you can just be upfront and tell her you don't want her doing it, or you can limit contact between the two of them.

My MIL faced a similar issue when she was younger with her MIL. My MIL is not religious, but hers was and was always trying to get her to read the Bible. Would literally set one in front of her and tell her what passages to read. I know it pissed my MIL pretty bad. I think she ended up chewing her MIL out after awhile, LOL.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 2:05 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• I'd tell her flat out "mom, we are not witnesses, and I don't like it when you try to push your religious views off on my daughter. I know you mean well BUT she is MY daughter and it is up to ME (and her father) to take care of any religious teachings--- if we choose to bring her up in a religion. Please respect our wishes and stay out of it. If you keep pushing the issue and going behind my back then I will have no choice but to limit your time with her, and not let you have unsupervised visits with her. I really would hate for it to come to that, but be warned I will do it!"
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 2:07 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Tell her that if she would like to spend time with your daughter she needs to learn to respect you and not say anything OR she will only be allowed to have supervised visits.
    Mommy2Gabrielle

Answer by Mommy2Gabrielle at 2:07 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• I'd use tough love. Tell her you appreciate her passion for her faith and her desire to share it with people who she cares about...BUT, a 7 year old does not need to worry about hell (what I'm assuming is frightening her). Tell her that YOU will teach your daughter what things YOU feel she needs to know and can handle at what age YOU feel is appropriate....because YOU are her mother.
    Tell her that if she does not respect this, then she won't be in your or your child's life anymore...and stick to that threat!
    hill_star03

Answer by hill_star03 at 2:07 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• My mom had the same problem with my grandmother, her MIL, when my brother and I were kids. My mom finally had to tell her that no matter how much she preached to her, she was not going to believe what my grandmother believed in and she was no longer going to be welcome in our house if she continued to do so. Good luck:)
    shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 2:08 PM on Sep. 27, 2010