How much attention is to much attention?

I have heard that you can "SPOIL" a baby what do you think? I mean I dont think that my kids are spoiled but to some other people they are spoiled. What do you think a "spoiled child" is like?

agriffinmom4

Asked by agriffinmom4 at 2:23 PM on Sep. 27, 2010 in General Parenting

• It depends on the age of the child and what you're doing that people are calling "spoiling". If you're talking about hugging and playing with an infant or toddler? There's no such thing as too much love/attention. If you're talking in terms of "stuff", it's very easy to go overboard.
    coder_chick

Answer by coder_chick at 2:45 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• You absolutely can spoil a baby as well as a child. But with infants, when you respond to their cry you're allowing them to learn that they'll be well-taken care of and that their needs will be met. Older babies and children learn to manipulate this. Spoiled children generally are given too much, believe that they are entitled to things and privileges without having to earn them, and behave in a demanding, whiny, bossy, or complaining way. If people are telling you that your children are spoiled, you might want to keep an eye out for those beliefs and behaviors as well as what you're giving them.
    caseyandkids

Answer by caseyandkids at 2:27 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Children that are spoiled are given everything they want, when they want it. I don't think you can spoil a baby under one though. They are still learning how the world works and need you to be there to comfort them when they need it.
    mommyof2grls06

Answer by mommyof2grls06 at 2:38 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• I have proof you can spoil a child!! my 1 yr old thinks she needs attention ALL the time!! she will play by herself for like 10 minutes then come crawling over and want your attention none stop!! all this thanks to my mom!! ever since she was a baby my mom felt like she needed to be held..happy, crying..no matter what.. you try to put her down and that woman gets mad!! so yes..even under 1 you can spoil a child!! my daughter doesn't like playing by herself cause she's used to having attention..
    proudmommy690

Answer by proudmommy690 at 2:44 PM on Sep. 27, 2010