What will become of our future generations? We are making big mistakes. Agree or disagree?

Basically we are now grooming our kids to be academically overwhelmed. Then when they reach the brink due to over scheduling and abnormal expectations we can just get them medicated so they can go on. There is no more creative thinking because the children barely have time to eat these days. So we can compete with the other moms "my kid is enrolled in more activities then your kid". That is the reason there are no more brilliant minds anymore. We have created overscheduled robots who melt down if there isn't a minute without a scheduled activity. So is that why teenagers are raiding their parents Medicine cabinets for pain killers?? What have we done to to the future generation?? There is no more childhood any more it is just pathetic

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:24 PM on Sep. 27, 2010 in General Parenting

• Agree totally...

Answer by louise2 at 2:26 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Actually, too many parents are demanding far too little of their children. They want their children to have "more", but they require their children to work for it less. They are effectively removing the motivation for their children to succeed. They're busy trying to "give" self-esteem when self--esteem isn't given, it is developed through competency and success. They're busy trying to "give" happiness when happiness is a learned choice and stems largely from self-efficacy. And they certainly don't want their child held back, so they allow - and practically demand - that the school accommodate and advance students who have not mastered the necessary skills.
    caseyandkids

Answer by caseyandkids at 2:30 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Quite the contrary. I think american parents dont push thier children acedemically enough at all. in comparison with the rest of the world our children score ABYSMALLY LOW . and yes, i have spelling issues todasy. its all about balance. children should have time to play, be creative and explore thier world. but our schools are lettig our children down with the DUMBING DOWN process
    BlacksheepSati

Answer by BlacksheepSati at 2:26 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• We definitely have a little of that going on in our family, but in reality the U.S. ranks #25!! education-wise in the developed world. Clearly we are not academically overwhelming enough. My parents were very tough on me, (I participated in 3 varsity sports, was a part of several clubs, etc.) and while it was tough, I'm glad they made me do it. For them it wasn't about being able to brag to their friends over how many things I was doing, but more to make sure I was given every opportunity they could provide.
    SabrinaBean

Answer by SabrinaBean at 2:37 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Not in my house.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 2:25 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• I think thats very stereotypical.. My family is nothing like that.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 2:26 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• I agree with Casey&kids.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 2:34 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• you think this is the first gneeration that has been pushed to succeed? Ever hear the term Renaissance Man? People used to train themselves in all sorts of different disciplines. They turned out okay and the world is still here, so I think our kids will be fine.
    hill_star03

Answer by hill_star03 at 2:42 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• My view is different.

I saw children being overwhelmed by extra curriculars and activities because parents have been told that lots of extras keeps kids busy and away from : drugs, sex, alcohol, gangs..etc.

However. I did not see as much academic overload. If anything. I have watched the academic standards become more laxed. Even though "No Child Left Behind" was supposed to change that.. (I find NCLB to be a joke and farce but that's another conversation..) I'm seeing children who are academically far below the levels of their counterparts in other parts of the world. And sadlly, it's those counterparts in other parts of the world, that students today will be competeing against for the careers of tomorrow.

((note: I use past tense because is grown/in college)))
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 2:55 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Casey is right. We're requiring less and giving more. Our kids are learning less because we're allowing it. And we're trying to bestow upon them things that are earned through effort.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 3:07 PM on Sep. 27, 2010