To many Activities?

Does anyone out there have there kids in to many afterschool activities? Just wondering because I've noticed that some people I know seem to (I think) OVERLOAD there kids with activities, now is it to get the kids out of there hair or do people really like running all over town like chickens with there heads cut off? We have 3 boys and 1 girl and we do one sport at a time 3 football players and a cheerleader. After that we have swimming, robotics, and baseball. That's busy enough for us, so why do people do it?

mcme

Asked by mcme at 2:28 PM on Sep. 27, 2010 in General Parenting

• My kids are 5 & 3 and they aren't in any afterschool activities.. When they are old enough to say what they want to be in .. I will let them.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 2:29 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Just so many opportunities. Kids have a hard time picking and dont want to miss out on anything I think. My dd is in girl scouts, its twice a month. 4H is once a month, but dog agility is weekly (part of 4H). in the summer and winter we also throw in swim team. We stay busy but their is still stuff she is missing out on like piano and gymnastics. She has free time a few nights a week. Id ont know how people do something every night!
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 2:31 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• I actually know of very few parents who over-schedule their children to get their children out of their hair. Children on busy schedules have parents on busy schedules.
    caseyandkids

Answer by caseyandkids at 2:33 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• I don't make my kids do any of the things they do. I forgot we also have Livestock shows from September- March (FFA). I know people who are always running and if it's because they are busy too then why do they add to there busy life like that?
    mcme

Comment by mcme (original poster) at 2:40 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• My kids are 10, almost 9, almost 8 and 4 1/2 and they aren't involved in any activities this year.  Last fall the 9yo did floor hockey (1 day a week).  The 8yo did gymnastics (1 day a week) and Girl Scouts (every other week) and the 4yo did gymnastics (1 day a week).  That was it.  That was actually plenty.  I felt like I was running around crazy between walking them to and from school and activities.  The 4yo was in preschool and every other Tuesday I had to drop her off at 1pm.  Pick the older kids up at 2:20pm.  Pick her up at 3pm and then pick my 8yo up at scouts at 4pm.  Then it was time to cook dinner.  It was crazy and I hated it.  I was so freaking tired all the time.  I have no car so I have no way to get them to activities now that we've moved.

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 5:44 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Just wait - they get busier as they get older!
    missingruth

Answer by missingruth at 6:01 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• My son is 6. We are involved in a lot of activities. He plays soccer during the fall, tball in the spring (football will replace soccer next year). He is a cub scout, I'm his den leader. He sings in our church children's choir. And I'm the president of the PTO. He wants to be involved, he asks to do these things, and because I never had the opportunity as a child to explore different activities I make sure I give him the opportunity. It's tough because sometimes it seems there's something going on every night of the week. Our priorities & responsibilities are very clear.
    travzmom

Answer by travzmom at 12:14 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• My SIL over loads her kids, they dont do homework until 9 pm
    lasombrs

Answer by lasombrs at 12:33 AM on Oct. 7, 2010